Thread: PPTP Problems

PPTP Problems

I use PPTP to connect to the VPN at the colocation for the company i work for. When i try to connect from home i have the following dillema: when i wire into my network everything works fine and dandy with the VPN. However when i try to go through my linksys wrt54g using wireless i cannot connect. My network structure is as follows: Cable Modem - WatchGuard FireBox Soho 6 - Linksys switch - Linksys WRT54G. I have enabled PPTP passthrough on the linksys and on the firebox. when i wire directly into the firebox it works fine and when i put the WRT54G outside the network VPN also works fine.
    The reason i ask is that there are times when i would like to use the vpn when i am on wireless.
    Thanks for any help

Is the firewall in your linksys turned on? If so are you allowing traffic over your firewall for the VPN connection? Are you using NAT or is it shut off?

What version is the firmware in your linksys? Are you sure there are no issues with your type of VPN and the linksys software?

Try setting the MTU option in you linksys to 1500. It is in the advanced settings somewhere. This is required for our VPN client to conenct.

Has your setup ever worked? Are you using WEP, WPA, or no security? Try a different security method or no security as a test.

I do not have my linksys plugged in at the moment so I can not be specific. We have a Linksys B router of some kind. If the firmware is updated to the latest version the changes for L2TP, PPTP, IPSec etc do not save.
    -- Mathias

i have actually tried every combination you just listed,including multiple firemware versions, and even 3rd party firmware, i believe the problem is with the firebox, I think you have to buy a piece of software from watchguard to have better control over the vpn related functions. Anyway just today i decided to bite the bullet and buy a wap54g wireless access point, this solved all of the problems i was having, it works great.