Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Intel or not?

should i go for the amd64 or for one of the latest intel's?
    Leave it to one of the guys from the UK to start a flame war!
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

Dude you have a nforce2 board they overclock very well! Before you go spending cash on a new platform, which incidently will be limiting as you will be restriced to an AGP board if u want to keep your 9800, this will limit future video upgrades. Just overclock your current processor. If it is a 2400 it should be a tbredb core which usually overclock to a conservative 2200mhz (about the equavalent of a xp-2800+). Thats my opinion, wait until your prepared to do the whole upgrade pci-express etc...
    Alternativly wait till the dualcore x2's drop in price.
    Thats my 2 cents

Keep what you have

I play alot of games and have a Athlon 2500 333mhz Barton overclocked to 2.1 ghz or A 2800-3000 give or take(it Identifies as a 2800+) I have 1.5 gig of 2700 ram and a Geforce 6600gt with 128mb of 1gh Ram AGP). If you overclock your Athlon to a 2800+ or buy a Barton 3000+, and sell your 9800 pro to buy a better video card (6600gt or 6800) you would spend about 200.00 dollars, and have a very good rig at a lot lower price. If you intend to keep an AGP card you would be crazy to upgrade to a AMD64. In the future the bottle neck would be large, and a big waste of money.

It's a no-brainer. An AMD/nVidia nForce4 combination costs less and outdoes an all Intel setup for the average SysOpter. Gotta love nForce!

Hmmm...I wonder if nVidia can do for Intel what it did for AMD? We'll see soon!
    MS MCP, MCSE

Quote Originally Posted by sturlez2k
    hi, ive been recently thinkin about building a new pc soon. ive currently got an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ and that seems to run good on the latest games.
    thanks

Why do anything at all?
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."