Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 2 demo is READY

Ultimate Member
    Hmm... Yeah, that IS something I would like to do. I need to upgrade this server before running the full version. With 64 people playing, CPU usage is sometimes pegged at 100%. Its currently on a P4 2.4/533/1MB

I think my boss is going to let me build an Athlon64 or Opteron based system for it. Which would you go with? A64 or Opteron?

Ultimate Member
    DAMNIT!!!! My boss doesn't know what he's doing, gets auto banned for TKing, tries to unban himself and shuts the server down while a bunch of people are on it.... grrrrrr

Yeah...I was one of them

Ultimate Member
    lol, yeah I know... So was I. I was like "wtf" RDP'd to the server and the BF server wasn't even running. PMed him on AIM asking what the heck he did, and apparently instead of taking over my RDP session to unban himself, he ended it completely, causing the BF server to close. I told him to just call my cell phone next time, lol.

I am following this thread closely, because for the first time..knowing all of us play some of the same things...a game comes out that I think makes sense for some of us to get together and have a kicker.

I need another online game to play, because lately I am getting overly disgusted with my CSS server and the lack of credits for kills and think also someone or others are cheating alot more in the last two weeks as my rating went form under 200 to over 5000 due to non credits for kills. Last night for instance, in two rounds I had three and four kills each at one time and got zippola for them , and that is not tolerable to me. If something makes me too upset or mad, then it ceases to be fun and I just quit and do something else. (excuse the non topic info here)

Madpistol...I was just ready to write to you about your other post where you bragged about your 3D Mark 03 scores...in essence asking why you were worried about playing this game when you got over 12000 on your score. I got 8700++ on mine and the only thing different about our respective machines really is your Video card. I have the 2.8C also..and 1 GIG of Corsair..but a FX5900 card which is a very good card for last generation.
    In addition, I agree that the game looks very bright and crisp and plays well..with the setup interfaces.

God help me ..,another fifty bucks on a game I suppose.
    Just have alot of games by normal standards...

Some day I will need a seperate room just to house all of them.
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 06-13-2005 at 02:12 AM.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Has anyone tried being the Commander? If so, what are your thoughts?

...i'm personally too much of a 'lone ranger' to play the Commander part.

I second that. but for some reason i seem to have both natures.

Take for instance when we play CSS and usually it ends up being a pretty selfish game..meaning that all people are worried about are stats..stats..stats... but if I am the leading scorer or near the very top on our team..,then I relish being the leader...although in fact that is a misnomer..as everybody does thier own thing.

I always go into any online game with the same thought in mind. That is win... for my side.
    Sure I keep track of my kills and stats..but its not an obsession like so many others.

I was born with a very keen intuition and for some reason I seem to be able to snif out the enemy often when others goes the opposite way..
    It is so much more fun to work as a team or have comrades that back you up and vice versa...
    Again, this is a wish more than a reality as we all seem to get caught up in the battle and just go for the nearest targets.

MJC... let me know where you play ( server) as I would like to join a side with some people I know... usually allied if possible. just too darn patriotic by nature.

Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 06-13-2005 at 04:40 AM.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Don't know if some or alot of you are like me and play online games very early in the am.. but just now the servers are either down or something is wrong..

Tried connecting up as usual within the game and no servers popped up.

I wonder if Gamespy or the EA games network is down or broken at the moment or if any of you are experiencing the same thing.

bummer...

Give me a leash here.... let me know whats up and or what I might be having problems with. All the info and sign in hecked out fine as did everything else and punkbuster is enabled..and the filter and boxes are checked....

Wait a minute i just though of something... I didn't check it to make sure it was on cable... let you know or please let me know something here..Thanks!

when i down load the demo it stalls all the time, it stalled at 250 odd megs this morning and again tonight at about 120 megs, has this happened to anyone else?

To update the problem I was having.. it turns out that I had the maps on large instead of medium in the settings and it worked when I clicked the medium maps in the game menu.

This may sound very turnaabout ( and it is ) ..from all the positive spins i was putting on this game..but I tried to play on a few servers last night...first on high setttings..and then on medium and in both the game was really not full speed..and was a bit slow motion for me.
    Now this is more than likely due to a combinatio of things. A large number of players on one server being one. The ping the server is at...and after carefully studing all of this I come to the conclusion that this game does in fact use alot of resources and is VERY graphic card intensive....meaning it will put even the high end cards to a test.
    Because I felt like i was in a boat in heavy seas most of the time while playing.... I couldn't even turn ,look around or move as fluidlly as i would like... and this concerns me a great deal.

I believe this game is in fact a showcase more for the latest graphic cards..and processors as there is just alot of stuff and effects going on that require so much strain on ones computer.

Kind of dissappoints me some as i am having second thoughts as to whether I want to buy a game that does not run at full speed all the time like a CSS or even the older versions of this game do.

Its the price you pay for special effexts and glory I suppose.

Of course it did not help my atttitude that almost every time I respawned I got killed a very shorft time after..over and over...mainly due to the fact I could not move fast enough or see the enemy fast enough or good enough to play on an even playing field.

Whatever game engine EA uses is in no way better than the one Valve uses as thiers works much better and is much smoother

I have a very good 2.8 GHz processor and it played like this. Darned if i'm going to buy alot of upgrades just to play one silly game. This industry is kind of cruel in trying to make us all spend spend spend so we all can enjoy these new graphical forrays.

Its OK , because I have my sights set on a couple of other games anyways.
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 06-13-2005 at 10:03 AM.

Rabbit,

I have been playing a bunch on RamonGTP's server, if you go to "connect to IP" and type in halo.xweb.org, and use the default port, you will connect to it.

I was just on a few minutes ago, but it was empty. Perhaps later in the day it will fill up.

Here are some of the screenshots i've taken:

http://users.wpi.edu/~mattc/cgi-bin/images/bf2/

I like this one a lot:

http://users.wpi.edu/~mattc/cgi-bin/.../screen014.jpg

MJC... Don't worry I won't entirely give up on this ...and will play some more..and closely watch the variables i described and otehr aspects..and try and make some any adjustments necessary..

It is a intensive and beautiful game..all in all just alot more graphicly demanding and when you throw all the intensity of action and everything into the mix..your computer has to work pretty hard to keep up.

Thanks for the server info and response MJ. Nice screenies and I too will go online tonight and take some..to show here for nothing more than compare or pics. and video card outcomes.

I think mine looks a bit brighter overall.. last night I played it at 2X AA and AF and alaways use the 1024 X 768 settings for res.

I will more than likely go back and play it on the game default settings for my system..as it worked real well on those.

Of course its natural from gamers all over the world to have so many pings that are low and very high....and often it is tough to find lower ping servers with more than 10 players or whatever.

I always like to play with as many players on the server as I can get....again at least twenty and above..on up to fifty something..

A comment overall about online games...; I went to the Planetbattlefield forum and posted something there and many players have some of the same things to say about the same ole rubber bullet routine.

Just once I wish the game makers would make a shooter game where when you shoot someone ( esp. at close range ) the enemy goes down a little more easily ..,rather than shooting at close range with a full clip and the other guy just takes it and then shoots you dead with only a few shots.
    In real life if you take ten shots you are dead..sorry but I am into realism not some game controlled thing.

Am I missing something or do you get to fly in the demo? is that only on multy player?

Yup, in online play only (32 player servers and higher).