Thread: HELP!! Stop error, now it won't post!!!!

HELP!! Stop error, now it won't post!!!!

I looked at the hardware properties for my ata controller and saw that my SATA2 drive was running in SATA1 mode. Downloaded Sisoft Sandra to benchmark it out of curiosity. Installed it, clicked on the ATA/IDE diagnostic and the computer locked up. Then I got a stop error. Restarted the computer, but it didn't post. Turned it off, waited, back on and still won't post!! Reset the cmos, still won't post. What else can I try?!?!?

AMD64 4000+
    MSI K8N Neo4 SLI
    XFX Geforce 6800GT
    1GB Corsair RAM
    Audigy 4
    Hitachi SATA2 160GB HD

Ultimate Member
    Try unhooking everything from the motherboard, except the ram, cpu, and video card, and see if it posts.

This is getting weird. I unplugged everything, turned it on and got nothing. But I left it running and about 2 minutes later it posted. Plugged everything back in and after a couple of minutes, it posted. Anyone ever heard of a computer doing that before???

Ultimate Member
    Yeah, I have heard of this before, but can't remember what caused it. Possibly a weak Power supply?

Power supply is about a month old. It's an Antec 550 watt TruePower2. Everything in there seems to get power immediately, it just doesn't post. I've had no instability, no strange crashes, no random restarts. I hope my power supply isn't flaking out, but at least I know I didn't fry anything.

Intimate Member
    I know that we sometimes tend to blame too much on the bad capacitor problem, but my daughters machine did exactly the same thing for awhile then if finally would not boot.

This was early on when we were just finding out about the bad motherboards, she removed the board..shipped to me and I replaced the caps...worked like a champ.

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...hreadid=118293

Shouldn't the capacitors have already been charged when it did this the first time? I got a stop error and reset the system. It had been on for over a week prior to that, only resetting it a few times.

If that is the problem, I hope it's covered under warranty because I don't think I'm brave enough to try replacing those on my own.