Thread: help with hanging, locking up..

help with hanging, locking up..

My dad just gave me his compaq presario 5000, he got fed up with it because it kept hanging and locking up, and he couldnt even shut it off by the power button when this happens, he had to literally unplug it to shut it off and restart it, well, i have spent 3 days with it, running adaware, spybot, hijack this, ccleaner and panda virus programs, i used these programs with directions from an experienced person on this site. A lot of spyware and **** was found but has been cleaned out and good to go. My problem is that the mouse pointer tends to hang for 4-5 seconds quite often, and it still locks up every now and then and cant be shut off without unplugging it from the wall!! This thing is running windowsME, wich i heard wasnt the best OS, but the machine was fine for 4 years, and just started doing this..anyone know anything to try besides just reloading the whole OS, wich i dont want to have to do..?
    thanks!
    PS..i have run scandisk and defrag also.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Sometimes it is easier to bite the bullet and reload with a format and fresh install.

After 4 years, it's probably time to bite the bullet and do an OS reload. The problem is that after that much time, there is so much garbage built up that any attempts at cleaning up with software utilities tends to ineffective at best. A fresh reload most time feels like a new machine because it runs so much faster.

Just save your pictures, address book, favorites, music and anything else that can't be replaced and format away. Be sure you have your recovery disks/Windows disks before you start. And maybe something other than ME.

the only problem i have with that is that i have a favorites list a mile long, how can i save the long list?

Under the "file" menu in IE there's an Import/Export option. Choose export and save to a floppy or cd. Then after the fresh install do the import and Voila! all favs restored.

ok, it worked, but 2 questions, ok, how do i save the favorites to the floppy without saving the preloaded favorites that were on the list? also, when i import the favorites to the new OS, how do i import them back to the 'favorites' list itself?

mopower440-

If the OS and software reinstall did not work, then read below and see if any of it applies.

Check to make sure that the power switch in front of the case is functioning properly. If so, then see below.

Did you make sure that the system is clean? Meaning no dust bunnies inside the system and/or the power supply. Dirt and dust can wreak havoc on the power supply making it act abnormal like what you're experiencing or sometimes short it out and making it appear dead. If it is clean, then I would test the output voltages coming from the power supply. It might soon die out on you.

Power problems sometimes manifests itself by making the system slowdown or lockup or reboot and/or all of the previous. If you have a DMM (Digital Multi Meter), then go ahead and measure the output voltages going into each device at the back of the connectors. Make sure that it falls within the specifications marked on the power supply, if not, then it is time to replace the power supply!

LPTECH
    Last edited by lptech; 06-08-2005 at 12:19 AM.

Originally posted by mopower440
    ok, it worked, but 2 questions, ok, how do i save the favorites to the floppy without saving the preloaded favorites that were on the list? also, when i import the favorites to the new OS, how do i import them back to the 'favorites' list itself?
    By preloaded favourites, do you mean the links file etc form microsoft ? Most of these can be deleted before you copy to the floppy. Only the links map will keep being regenerated.

To import them back to the new install just cut and paste the file from the floppy into the favourites file which can be found in your my documents file. (my computer/documents and settings/user (admin)) there should be the favourites file, just overwrite the standard favourites with your copy.
    Lifes a *****, and then you marry one.

the only thing in the documents folder is 'my music' and 'my pictures'

??

lptech, i have a DMM, give me more detail on what to check.

sorry, my mistake. I was sat behind my works computer which has restrictions about certain folders, so I was doing it from memory. (obviously getting a bit old)

What I should have said : go into my computer. click on the C disk. Documents and settings. then click on your user file and there is my favourites.

still dont see that folder..if i got to cdrive, my documents, the only folders in my documents are 'my pictures' and 'my music', i exported the favorites list to a floppy, that worked out fine, just need to know how to import them back into the favorites list, so when i click the favorites link on the top of the browser, the favorites list will drop down..
    Last edited by mopower440; 06-08-2005 at 12:51 PM.

hi mopower440, I have taken screenshots for a step by step guide.

send me an email and then I can use your address to send them to you.

Gringo