Thread: Stop error, now PC won't boot and mobo has a red light.

Stop error, now PC won't boot and mobo has a red light.

Posted this in another thread but I figured it best to make a new topic.

I got the same error after trying to install a new CPU. (Referring to that IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL stop error) So I put the old CPU back in and I still got the error. Now the PC won't boot up at all, it just starts and about 4 seconds later it turns off and a red light on the motherboard comes on. It has CPU OVERHEAT or something similar printed near where the red light on the motherboards is at. This happens with both the new CPU and the old one :/

Are both CPU's dead now or is it a mobo problem?

CPU overheat doesn't necessarily mean the CPU is dead! Just that it's running too hot. A 4 second shutdown means the overheat is instant too.

You may have the HSF on backwards or be attempting to run it without any TIM (Thermal Interface Material)! If neither is the case - you should look for a problem with the mobo.

you don't say what socket\cpu you are using, so I can't advise further about fitment of the HSF.

Sorry, one is an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ the other is an AMD Athlon XP 2800+. It's a Barton.

Using a Zalman HSF, one of those stealth fans. Looks exactly like this one - http://www.cooltechzone.com/reviews/cooling/cnsps_1.php - but not sure if it's the same model.

I have the Aluminium version of the same HSF!

Be certain the mounting bracket or the heat sink itself isn't hanging up on one of the mobo capacitors in the region of the socket, and therefore not making the correct contact with the cpu.

It's a problem for certain boards that requires the bracket be modified to clear the obstruction.

There's a list of compatable boards on the Zalman website.

[edit] let me add that if the problem is with the flower\fins of the heatsink is catching on something - you can't modify it, so don't try - send it back if you can.
    Last edited by Strawbs; 06-05-2005 at 04:47 PM.

I also don't have any thermal pads or thermal paste on it... Will Radio Shack sell that?

Originally posted by own
    I also don't have any thermal pads or thermal paste on it... Will Radio Shack sell that?
    you must use some kind of thermal pad or paste between the Heatsink & CPU or you won't make proper contact!

as good as these HS's are, they're not perfect (none of them are) and need the TIM to fill in any mating surface imperfections left during the manufacturing process.

Buy the best you can afford, El Cheapo brand won't do your Zalman any justice - But isn't there a little packet of goo in the box that you can use for testing purposes? I know there was in mine.

When I ordered mine - I also ordered a tube of >Arctic Silver 5!< which is about the best available.

Here's that list of compatible AMD boards! It shows which boards require the clip to be ...erm ...clipped , and the clearances needed.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cool...MBlist_eng.htm

Here are the instructions for using Arctic Silver!

Use as thin a layer as possible - as long as it's not transparent - whatever brand you get.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm
    Last edited by Strawbs; 06-05-2005 at 05:17 PM.

Yeah I remember there was a tube of it that came with the fan, but that was a couple years ago. I tend to lose things like that.

I just ordered some Arctic Silver 5. Could that have been the reason behind the stop error also?

Originally posted by own
    Yeah I remember there was a tube of it that came with the fan, but that was a couple years ago. I tend to lose things like that.

I just ordered some Arctic Silver 5. Could that have been the reason behind the stop error also?
    It really depends on whether you were using any paste on the original setup that gave you that error! If you were using paste - the problem may lie elsewhere! But you may also have used too thick a layer of paste (see my edit above) - which would delay the overheat until it had passed the BIOS temperature check and allowed the CPU to build up to a critical level more slowly.

The 4 second shutdown is your Mobo protecting your CPU, so if that's as far as you got with the second CPU, that one should be ok.

Alright thanks for all the help/information. I'll just wait for the Arctic Silver 5 to get here and see what that does.

It really depends on whether you were using any paste on the original setup that gave you that error! If you were using paste - the problem may lie elsewhere! But you may also have used too thick a layer of paste (see my edit above) - which would delay the overheat until it had passed the BIOS temperature check and allowed the CPU to build up to a critical level more slowly.
    On the original setup I was using paste and had no error at all. When I installed the new CPU I didn't use any paste and got the error. I installed the old CPU again and wiped off the old paste first (i figured it was old and useless now ) and got the same error.

If both of the CPU's passed the BIOS check & blue screened later - it may be too late for both.

You may get lucky with the Barton - they're pretty resillient when it comes to overheating.

I'll pray for you tonight.