Thread: 200gb Hard Drive failed in Ext case

200gb Hard Drive failed in Ext case

I am trying to install a 200gb Hard Drive into a 3 1/2" USB 2 External case so that I can back up files from several computers running a variety of operating systems from Win 98se through to Windows xp service pack 2.
    As I couldn't get the Hard drive to be recognised in its original state I plugged it into my Windows ME computer using the IDE cable and formatted it using Fat 32 filing system which formatted ok at 184.5gb.
    I then repacked the Hard Drive back into the external case and plugged it into my Windows xp system via USB 1.1 but only get a message that the new hardware failed to install and find a listing of unknown device in the USB section of Device Manager.

I have since tried to plug this external case into other computers using either USB 1.1 and USB 2 but all to no avail.

Has anyone any clues as to what I may be doing wrong as I am sure that 200gb Hard Drives are acceptable in USB 2 cases. I have been to the case manufacturer site (Manhattan) and downloaded the hot fix for USB1.1 but this still does not work
    Regards
    Ron

How is the drive jumpered? Master-Slave-CS?

Should try Master and or CS.

200GB HDD -External USB case

Thanks Steve...Have tried jumper block on every way possible avail. Some people recommend CS and others Master but certainly in this instance neither makes any difference.
    The Hard drive was slaved on an IDE channel on a computer to format and since the jumper block has been moved to either CS or Master to try and get some recognition in the external case but Windows does not want to know anything about the case.
    I have used the same cases in the past for CD Rom drives , CDRW drives and up to 40 gb Hard drives and never had any problems with plug n play.
    This one is a real mystery

HDD in external ENCLOSURE

Problem solved.. Silly error

The Hard drive is a Seagate 200gb and I thought I was following the jumper block pattern as determined on the HDD but in actual fact I had the Master jumper block on the wrong end.

The drive identified correctly when the jumper block is in the true Master position. Cable select does not work must be Master.

Jolly thanks to all contributions and I hope that this error will assist other people in the future in making certain jumper blocks are correctly set when using external enclosures

Regards

Ron