Thread: Win98 fails at deskbar.dll

Win98 fails at deskbar.dll

A Win98se system...Explorer is getting an invalid page fault in deskbar.dll and won't start.

I can't find much info when I Google deskbar.dll. The closest hit I found had to do with AOL, (got that), but it was on a WinME system and was resolved by using system restore. Something I don't think I can do on Win98se.

Any ideas how to get this system started?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Reinstall 98?

Boot into safe mode and reinstall whatever deskbar application you have installed. If that involves reinstalling AOL, then so be it. Either that or reinstall 98.

Also check for spyware when you're in safe mode. A few spyware apps have been known to cause problems in other applications and system functions.

Intimate Member
    AOL has been known totally screw up a system, mostly the Windows winsock.dll is exchanged for the one that comes with AOL.

Have you run system file checker?..if not, go to start/run and type in sfc and hit OK...follow the hits, you may get a bunch of hits asking to "Update Verification Information".. This happens when applications are added and certain files are changed or modified..usually DLL's...look at them, if the date or file size is larger than the original, you will just click ok.

If a file is found to be corrupt, you will be prompted to replace it...you will need your Win98 setup disk.

Later on, run scandisk in thorough mode...many times scandisk will correct minor glitches.

If AOL is now history, you may want to archive what you can and wipe the drive, and reinstall

There are winsock repair utilities, but I can't remember where to go get them.

Oh yeah, here it is:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/
    From MajorGeeks.com:
    WinSockFix 1.1.0.13

WinSockFix offers a last resort if your Internet connectivity has been corrupted due to invalid or removed registry entries. It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings. If you encounter connection problems after removing network related software, Adware or after registry clean-up; and all other ways fail, then give WinSock XP Fix a try. It can create a registry backup of your current settings, so it is fairly safe to use.

Hold down the Control key when you are booting until you find yourself at the boot menu.
    Choose Command Prompt only .
    At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore <enter>.
    Choose a date when things were fine.

The system won't start in safe mode. Same problem.

He was messing around doing AOL installs/uninstalls, deleting old versions, etc etc when the problem started.

The scanreg /restore to the last day before he started messing around fixed it. He intends to be more careful in future.

Thanks everyone.