Thread: My computer freezes in games

My computer freezes in games

Hi,

I hope u can help me.

I have an ASUS K8V SE DELUXE with an ATHLON 64 3400+ and 1 GIG of crucial DDR400 memory (a recent upgrade from a generic 512MB DDR333 stick). I also have an ATI X800 PRO that is relativley new.
    I run ASUS Probe and i have 2 PCI slot fans and 2 case fans.

I have noticed that after about 30-40 mins and up to 1 hour in playing games; my system just freezes. This happens everytime i play any games for any length of time...I notice that my computer doesn't seem to freeze in Windows...so i guess maybe it is either a driver issue, a RAM issue or a graphics card issue. But i'm not sure - can anyone suggest something?

Have you checked your temps? What size and make is your psu?

My temp's are fine...Reaching a max of 50C CPU temp. under load.

I have just run a high-quality DIVX movie file in Windows Media Player for 2 hours - to see if the system freezes. It has not froze, so my assumption is that it freezes only in games for some reason.

My PSU is 430W and it was checked out in the last month by a technician - he said it was fine.

What about your updates and drivers are you current with the most recent ones? Also direct X up to date?

I have been using DirectX 9C for some time...and it has reported no problems...(done the checks).

I am not sure about my graphics card drivers. They seem fine in the sense that they run games and i can change settings, etc.

I think it may be since i installed my 1 GIG of Crucial DDR400 memory....i will run Memtest to see if it is okay.

I can't run Memtest86 because i dont' have a floppy! Do u know any other program?

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Reinstall directX and vid drivers see what happens could have been corrupted by new ram from the onset.

Originally posted by PersianKnight
    I can't run Memtest86 because i dont' have a floppy! Do u know any other program?
    If you've got a burner, there are ISOs available for Memtest to make a bootable CD:

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Well...i did what u said..re-installed directx and my graphics drivers and i ran Far Cry (as an example) for over 2 hours non-stop without any freezing. I quit the game back to desktop and was quite pleased that i could have a full, proper go without any crash.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks!!!!

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Glad it worked.

I'm really annoyed to find out that its freezing again. I can play for over an hour in SWAT4 but it froze again, and in another game...seemingly at random.
    I don't think its processor or motherboard heat....because i checked the figures in the BIOS after resetting.

I think its either a memory problem or my gfx AGP is screwed up.

You can use UBCD to test ram, cpu and hdd's , among other things. These tests eliminate Windows and test hardware only. Test with and without a house fan blowing into the case to determine if its heat related.

Along with reinstalling DirectX and Vid drivers , reinstall the VIA chipset and sound drivers too.
    Be sure all background apps are disabled during game play.
    Check the Event Viewer for errors that might reveal the problem.

Video and sound don't under go serious stress until 3D or games run.
    Check the vid card gpu and ram is not over heating , and also the south bridge on the mobo.

If the games are multiplayer online games , consider your nic or router as the problem.

Make sure you have all the latest patches for all your games.

Thanks for your suggestions. I shall address them now.