Thread: C000021a - Desperate help needed

C000021a - Desperate help needed

I've been lookin online n trying to find sum help wit this with little success.
    I installed service pack 2 (XP) on my other computer but it never intalled properly so windows downloaded a new hotfix to tell me to uninstall it then try re-installing it.
    I uninstalled it but now i've been locked out of the computer all that comes up is Fatal System Error C000021a.

The only way ive found online to fix this is by using the recovery console however its my dads computer and hes lost the admin passwords - suprise suprise.

I've connected his hardrive to my computer and was wondering if anyone could talk me through uninstalling the hotmfix through my computer accessing his hard drive.

The offending hotfix is 890859.

Someone out there please help me he comes home in a couple of days and i dun think hes gonna like his computer not working.

Thanx in advance

I havnt got the XP Home disk to do the repair install with - i've only got an XP Pro disk but that wont allow me to repair the version of XP Home thats on the other computer. I think im gonna start lookin harder for the disk with XP Home on.

any idea ?

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

Best bet is a reinstall.

I got a friend that knows how to delete the password file in case of lock-out. I can ask him the instructions and PM you if you want. And that's IF he remembers lol he don't always remember how to do stuff he tells me about.

{edit} Do you even need the admin passwords to do the recovery console? I thought that was run right from the XP CD. You have to boot from it.
    Last edited by RockNRoll; 06-06-2005 at 09:21 AM.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Windows offline password editor:

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Works for NT, 2000, XP, Advanced Server of each, Longhorn, XP64, etc.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by RockNRoll
    I got a friend that knows how to delete the password file in case of lock-out. I can ask him the instructions and PM you if you want. And that's IF he remembers lol he don't always remember how to do stuff he tells me about.

{edit} Do you even need the admin passwords to do the recovery console? I thought that was run right from the XP CD. You have to boot from it.
    Yes, you need the local machine admin password to be able to use the recovery console. And, in XP and 200, you can't just delete the password file.