Thread: New 6800 GT problem

New 6800 GT problem

Ok. Now I have a new problem (even after cleaning out the dust to my video card.)

After playing Everquest for about 2 hours, my video card started artifacting. The only thing that is making me suspicious is that the temps are in the normal operating range. This is really worrying me.

Does anyone know of a stable driver (beta driver) that would fix any kind of artifacting problems? The other possible problem is that I'm under powered too. here's my specs.

2.8ghz P4
    Intel 875P motherboard
    1 GB PC3200 (4 Dimms 256mb)
    2x120GB IDE 7200RPM HDDs
    Verto Geforce 6800 GT 256mb (stock cooling)
    DVD+RW/CD-RW combo drive.
    Audigy 2 ZS sound card
    350-watt Antec Smartpower PSU

Am I running my system with too little power? Also, the PSU is about 1 and 1/2 years old. do you think I should upgrade to like a 400 watt or 430 watt or do I have enough power driving my system?

if it only happens after a couple hours, I don't think it's the PSU. you would see problems way earlier than that.

what drivers are you running now? I like the 76.50s, but many people would go with the 76.44 or 45 since they are WHQL for the 6800s.

Installed the 76.45 driver. No problems so far. In fact, the temps seem to be lower than they were on the 67 series drivers. That's pretty incredible. I played all day with no artifacting so i guess that did the trick. However, if it doesn't fix the problem, I'm going to have to up my PSU. That's the only reasonable course of action IMO. Hopefully, it won't come to that though.

yup. the 76.45s are pretty sweet. WHQL makes it less scary for a beta.

According to http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ you're pulling somewhere around 329W off your PSU. You may have other items connected that you don't list though. You're not overextending, but you are approaching the rated wattage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

so does the PSU really affects the VC? im just wondering how.
    thanks.

Yea a PSU really effects video cards now more then ever. The newer x8 agp cards like the 6800gt all need extra power and are even rated at like a 350 watt min psu. The pci-e cards atleast most of the current can get enough power from the slot but Im guessing the new ones coming out will even need more. It isnt like the old days where the guy with the 250watt was wondering what to do with all that power heh.

I know that I'm approaching the limit. In fact, during some of the benchmarks, the programs stop suddenly and for no reason. I'm thinking the PSU may be the reason. I'm going to try those programs one more time w/ 76.45 drivers and see if it works. If it does, The problem is more than likely solved. If not, I may consider going and getting a new PSU w/ 400 watts. that should be sufficient for what I'm running. More info in a minute...

drivers make a huge difference. as for the benchmark problems, was that before or after you changed to the 76.45s?

you never specified which driver set you were using previously, like I asked. you mentioned 67 series, but you need to be more specific. For example, the 71.20s were fine, but the 71.24s had some problems with HL2. The 71.84s had a known heatbug, but the 71.89s seemed to fix that.

Artifacting is usually caused by heat, bad ram, or bad drivers. If it was the PSU, the system probably wouldn't boot/run, but you said you played EQ for 2 hours.

okay. to clarify, I was using the 71.84 driver. It was definately causing my card to overheat. That was the problem. when I did benchmarks on it, the benchmarks would crash to the desktop quite often. I ran all the benchmarks on the 76.45 Forceware driver, and no such problems occured. All the benchmarks ran flawlessly. In fact, the overall scores on them have actually increased. On 3DMark05, I used to get a score of 4322. Now I'm getting scores in the 4800's. And these drivers are WHQL certified? Man, that's an accomplishment. It also increased my score by a couple hundred on 3DMark03, so I'm pleased. I really do like these drivers. I hope Nvidia doesn't screw these up when they decide to publish them.

the beta drivers really don't change just because nvidia calls them "official". the 71.84 beta is exactly the same as the official if you look at the actual files. IF nvidia releases the 76.45s as official, then they will be basically intact.