Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: looking to build a budget computer for a friend

It all looks good to me... you can second guess all day but go for it .... should be just fine I would think.

Just a note on the keyboard. I have had two MS keyboards and again I think the Logitech model is better. Has quieter key action and seems the most opoular among the crowds fo users.

Other than that ...go ahead and get it done.
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 06-04-2005 at 06:40 PM.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Ive been reading up on Western Digital hard drives and it seems that quite a few people have problems with them (e.g. hard drives dies in a few months). Should I use this as the primary hard drive or should i just spend a few extra dollars on a Maxtor.

Also, Windows XP is not included or pre-installed, so I have to go and find a cheap one to buy. I understand that Win XP only allows for a maximum of 137gb. Would I have any troubles installing Windows Xp on this hard drive?
    Last edited by dcman; 06-05-2005 at 09:52 AM.

A Seagate 160 gb is only $10 more at $112. How are they? Any good?

Also, is it necessary to use MSI's qualified RAM or is the one i have chosen already fine?

http://www.msicomputer.com/msiforms/...ecommended.asp

I'd stay away from Maxtor,even though some might think their ok , I would opt. for the Seagate.

I have a 7200 120GB/8mB barricuda drive as my main HD and they aer a quiet,fast and good product.

Nothing wrong with Western Digital at all. I would try and find a nice 160GB Caviar drive for those..and they also have a 250GB 7200 model out now that is on sale somewhere I believe.

If you wanted to get a bit spendy and possibly plan on gettinga second HD soon,then you might look into getting a WD raptor drive at 10000 RPM ,it would be a good main system HD,but with less space ( 36 or 78GB models avail.)

Read some reviews from others on HD models..and look for the deals.

LooKng at your memory list,.. I only see a couple on there I would choose. If you look at the list it has the Corsair CT C2 PC3200 modules and I would opt. for those. Also,OCZ is on there. Buy only non ECC memory though.
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 06-05-2005 at 07:26 PM.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

All these different types of memory is confusing. Ill just stick with the original selection. Ill also opt for the seagate 120 gb hard drive ($99) as ive seen nothing wrong with it so far.

Go for the seagate. I have an 80gig in my system from them right now and it's awesome, very quiet and fast. I've heard bad stuff about WD lately, and maxtor, as said before, is not so good.

GO FOR THE SEAGATE! Very reliable drives.
    Want to try anger management? Use a Win98 PC for 30 min without screaming, kicking, and yelling.

Seagates just been around forever...way back when computers were just an afterthought.

They make very good products... and usually have little problems and they last.

Some WD's might be suspect ..I don't know but the Caviar drives I think are one of their better models and again few complaints about them. Actually, I have one as my oter drive and it reads things a bit faster than my Seagate...and have good benchmarks.

Go get a Barracuda line and beleive me things will load a bit faster and evrything. They run at Max DMA5 also,which is the highest transfer rate in the bios.

I guess this is what it will be:

Antec Plus1080(SOHO File Server)+430w
    MSI FX5200TD-128M
    NEC ND-3520A 16X DVDRW Double Layer
    MSI K8T Neo2-FIR
    Panasonic 1.44MB floppy Black
    Seagate 120GB 8M Buffer
    AMD Athlon64 3000BP socket939 (Venice)
    OCZ400512PDC-K (256Mx2) DDR400
    Asus TV FM Card w/ Remote
    Canon LiDE 35 (scanner)
    Samsung ML-1740 Laser Printer
    Logitech MX510 Optical mouse
    Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard
    Logitech X530 70W 5.1 6pcs
    Samsung 793DF 17"

All for just under $1500 after taxes.

Thanks you all for helping me out. I just hope none of these products are sold out.

I did a little more research on the case and apparently there are 2 USB and 1 Firewire connections on the front of the case. If I were to get a cheaper motherboard that didnt have firewire with it, would these connections still work?

Sure the USB's would work...provided they are hooked up to the right place on the Mobo connections.

Helpful hint

Noticed you were in TO, and not sure if you are buying locally, but I buy my components out-of-province. That way you save on the PST. I usually buy from Netlinks in BC, which I have never had a problem with.

http://www.ncix.com/

For comparison or searching for the best price on components in Canada, go here:

http://www.computers-canada.com/index.html

Hope this helps.

Ive decided to go with this motherboard instead:

MSI K8T Neo2-F
    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...eo2-F&class=mb

Its $12 cheaper and doesnt have firewire, but because the case comes with it, I guess I dont need a motherboard with built in firewire.

Noooooo! The FireWire on the case is usesless without a firewire-enabled motherboard. Think of the case connectors as "cable extensions". They are useless without an actual connector to plug in to. Go with the motherboard with firewire on it. The firewire connectors on the case need to plug into the motherboard. The motherboard needs to have firewire on it to have the firewire plug for the case.
    Want to try anger management? Use a Win98 PC for 30 min without screaming, kicking, and yelling.

Ah, ok. Thanks.

The problem I have no though is the motherboard. Apparently, some people havent had it work with dual channel and/or the venice core amd.

Should I worry about this?

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...6&page=1&pp=15

http://translate.google.com/translat...l%3Den%26lr%3D

MSI Bios downloads -

http://www.msicomputer.com/support/bios_result.asp