Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: looking to build a budget computer for a friend

Another link:

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=80138.new#new

it seems as if there is supposed to be a new bios coming soon or i would just have to get a beta version. Never mind the previous post then.

ok, this will most likely be my final reply (unless i figure out anything new). Because I have no idea what MSI is doing with their new bios, i think i may end up getting this motherboard:

ASUS A8V DELUXE Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/...82E16813131510

It costs about $20 extra, but I think its worth it to save the trouble I may have.

Get the Asus board. Better product..and from the reviews you can see it is a very popular board. Quit torturing yourself..and get it.

I will personally guarantee this board will knock yur socks off. The quality of thier products is outstanding.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Should I still get the OCZ ram or should i save a few bucks and get kingston, or even save more and just get one stick of 512?

One stick of 512 will make most things work just fine..but I will be honest about this and say that I started with 512 MB and was happy for awhile....but you really have to have the extra ram to see the difference for yourself. programs will load faster,genral computer op. will be faster, and it helps the graphics alot also.
    Considering how cheap most ram is today versus just a few months ago ,I would go ahead and get the 1GIG of whatever.

In my opinion and from others out there,OZC is near the top in memory quality...and they also are right up there with their new product lines and tech. Might check out some Corsair value select also as it is cheap enough and still very good memory.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

lol just posted for deal but need laptop

heyal

are any places with some really great prices for laptops?

i found one the other day and had it configed at 3.9ghz pent, 1gb ram, 100hd wireless dont remember video but had it under $1200, pc crashed and lost the site and the email never went thru so im lost cant find another deal.

and son is aching to jump a debt of $15-1700 for toshiba.

any info would be great!

thanks,
    sb
    Thank ya kindly,
    Southern Belle

{{{{Stand Tall, Stand Strong, Stand True,
    We are the Proud Red, White and Blue!
    We are Free, We are Americans!}}}}

The internet is a wide open place for looking for deals of any kind.

Sorry, I cannot help with anything specific,but you might try NewEgg.com to start and get some ideas and prices and maybe even go to Tom's Hardware which would have most reviews and links to places to get them.

Another source might be Pricegrabbers.com

Im trying to save a little more money on the case. Would it be good if I were to get this case (below) but change the power supply to a different one (also below). It'll save about $20 and the case would also look better

Case:

http://www.filtechcomputer.com/produ...ProductID=7372

PSU:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index...696&cid=PS.808

Actually, I may just go with this one:

Antec SLK3700BQE
    http://www.antec.com/uk/productDetails.php?ProdID=00363

Its only $99, about $60 cheaper than the other antec case I was thinking of. However, it only comes with one case fan at the back so I may have to get another one. Any comments?

Like most of the whole of computer Hareware available,there are always alot of choices. To answer your question..yes that case would be fine if you like it.

Antec make good cases and products..,as do many others out there now. Its really a matter of choice and your needs.
    Some may have features like slide out drive bays or other ammentities...but the two things that might be most important are solid case construction,design and the number of devices it can hold..( HD's, CDR's or DVD players..ect..)

Another thing about construction is the material it is made of like aluminum ( which seems to be the most popular because of weight and heat dissapation or Steel..and some have plastic front panels,which are not very durable included in the construct.

Myself I would get a case that had a front , side and rear port for fans ( three total as mnimum ) Some have one front..one side and two rear or even one on top..which I believe isn't really necessary...,but the minimum is just fine as described.

Remember, it is you that have to live with it and as long as it holds your stuff just fine and has adequate ventilation...all should be well.

Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 06-12-2005 at 11:44 AM.

One last thing...
    I was about the get the computer the other day when I noticed they had a new motherboard in stock.

MSI RS480M2-IL Socket 939 ATI Radeon Graphics Xpress 200
    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...M2-IL&class=mb

It has an integrated video card so I guess it would save 60-70 dollars from getting a cheap graphics card. Also, if he wants to play games later on, he could just get a new card and put it in with out a problem.

Also, its not on their website but in the store they told me that they do have corsair memory via special order.

So this is what I am looking at right now.

Corsair Value Select PC3200 DDR400 Kit 2x256MB 184-pin DIMM (VS512MBKIT400) - $66
    NEC ND3520 (Black) 16x DVD+/-R Writer 4X Double Layer DVD (OEM) $62.99
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1.8 GHz Socket 939 (Retail Box) $194.00
    Antec SLK3700BQE Black Quiet Super Mid Tower w/ SmartPower 350W Power Supply $100.00
    Seagate 120GB EIDE ATA-100 7200RPM 8MB Buffer (OEM) $99.00 (add $12 for 160gb)
    MSI RS480M2-IL Socket 939 ATI Radeon Graphics Xpress 200 $114.00
    Panasonic 1.44 Floppy Disk Drive (Black) $16.00
    TOTAL: $652

The only question I have is why is the motherboard so cheap. It seems to get some decent reviews from what I have seen so far.

Tell me what you think about these selections though.

Myself, I don't consider myself an expert.... that being said ..., I think your choices are all just fine from waht I see.

Motherboards motherboards.and more MB's. MSI make real good boards..and your reasoning is pretty sound..as long as you use an ATI graphics card upon upgrading someday.

Your ram selection is good as Corsair is very good and performs well. I say this because if you look at any reviews and experts opinions it is a great value at that price.

I have an NEC 8X DVD-RW/CD-R/CDRW ( about the same other than you have 16X and boy have those prices dropped to the bottom.. it also is a good product and performs well.

Don't be overly concerned about the Mobo price as they too have dropped in price. Mine is going for about $120.00 I think and it is a slightly older board. I paid $137.00 for it new and at that time it was on sale and a great deal. That sounds about right.
    The more little extras a board has the more the price will go up.

Can't see why that system would have any issues....

Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 06-15-2005 at 10:34 PM.

Thank you very much for you help.

One last question before I go and get this computer....

Would it be a better decision to get a celeron processor?

Something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819112195
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130489

It would save about $100-$120.
    Or would it be a better choice to pay the extra cash and get something that will be better in the long run... or will the celeron still be decent in the long run... Im not sure.

Ladies and Gen...and we are back to square one.....

Why get a Celeron system when for muck less you can get a Barton core processor with are good quality nf2b board with soundstorm on it ?

My last $00.2.

there you go..something more to think about. Alot of these people have AMD ssytems and maybe you shoul dlisten to them.

I post some answers for you just to make you realize that there are alot of choices and alot of them are all good. it solely depends upon what you are using it for and what you want.

Saving money is fine..but it is sound reasoning not to look backward and get soemthing with enough power and has good features on the board ( like the previous guys post here ).

last generation Barton core AMD CPU's are and seem to be the concensus best for that brand of processor. I too have read the reviews and posts here and in tech reports.

To save money myself...and still keep up with current trends with the features we all want..it is not necessary to get the biggest or best out there. An example I would opt. for is going for a AMD 64 3200+ CPU and a Mobo using the. 939 chipset.
    really, they are not that expensive at all and you would have something that is in the mainstream with more added updated features..like sound or onboard Video if thats what you want.

I'm sorry something that may seem easy to decide is in reality a quagmire of many choices out there..but its a fact.

Anthing in the range of the choices we discussed here would be fine...

there is enouugh info her in this forum in past posts and if you llook in all the seperate categories here alot of others asked the very sme questions and a great number of good answers should be found for you on what others have done or suggested.

Good Luck..that is all I know for now.