Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: looking to build a budget computer for a friend

looking to build a budget computer for a friend

Nothing too fancy.
    A simple computer for the occasional photoshop and internet user. Doesnt really play much games but has a younger brother who i assume will want to play a few simple games in the near future.

I'd like to keep the price relatively low (if you can help make this a bit cheaper, then be my guest).

This is what I am thinking:

MSI FX5200TD-128M $67.00
    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/v...l=FX5200_TD128

NEC ND-3520A 16X DVDRW Double Layer $66.00

iCute 400W Case w/2x LED Fan Silver $75.00
    http://www.wapacllc.com/ICUTECASES.html (The first case thats on the site)

AMD Athlon64 3000+ socket939 $181.00

MSI K8T Neo2-FIR $124.00
    http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...2-FIR&class=mb

Panasonic 1.44MB floppy Black $15.00

WD 80G-8MB Buffer $73.00

Kingston 512MB(PC3200) DDRAM $56.00

Total: $657

I think thats everything.
    Im not too sure about the case though. There is a fan on the side and a fan at the top. Im thinking of getting a Vantec SF8025L for $11.00 to put at the front of the case.

All prices are in Canadian dollars and will be purchased from http://www.filtechcomputer.com/

If anyone can let me know if these are good choices or if i should change anything, it would be really helpful.

Base in the use your friend is going to give the machine:
    IF
    Nothing too fancy
    Then

Forget about a AMD 64 system, no need for it.

Get your friend a Barton machine for 1/2 the price,it'll get the job done.

Im guessing this one is the barton

AMD XP2500+ BOX

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...0_118_756_3734^3736,00.html

Something like this will do:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16819103417.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813127166

I don't know in Canada, but here you can Pick Up Hard Drive, Ram and Video at the local retailer at a very good price if you are willing to wait for the rebates.

I have the 2500+ and my friend perfers a processor that is faster. How much faster is the 2600 compared to the 2500

Just a little, no big difference, either will do fine. Now days you can put a very decent Home/Office machine for well under $500.00

Got the feelling he wants to really" burn" his money as I don't see the reason to get anything faster for the use is going to be given, but if he wants it then he must have it.

If that's the case let him spend the money in the other aspects of computing that usually people don't think about like a GOOD monitor, may be a Laser printer ( no more ink please), in setting up a Network etc, etc...........can't tell you how many people I know ask about 64 Systems and they don't know how to adjust the resolution on their 15" 6 years old piece of SH** monitor........

On the other hand.......some people will not listen to reason; just got to give them what they want and let them waist their money.

I should know better by now, but it gets to me every time.

Will your friend be needing a dual layer DVD burner, or could he get away with just a CD burner?

Are there Sam's Clubs in CA?
    If so...they sell a rock bottom system with a 17" monitor, keyboard, mouse, PC and speakers for 549.

I can't build one that cheap, include an OS and all that hardware.

For another 200 bucks US, you can get the 64 bit system.

The 549 system has a CD Burner and 256MB RAM with shared video (I'd opt for another 256 stick)

I believe the 750 plus system has a DVD burner and 512mB of RAM>

It's a compaq model.

For those on a budget, I've yet to find a better deal.

DOn't forget the cost of the OS in your new system specs.

Whoah $635? I paid that for a socket 754 Athlon 64 3000+ with a GeForce 5900XT($171). You could also get the 754 and save money too, but like said, a barton will do very well.

The funny thing is...they want to build a budget computer, but...a 2500 Barton, which IMO, is the best all around chip made for the $$, isn't fast enough??

Hmmm....Exactly how much does he have to spend, and what does he expect to do on this computer. Those are the important questions.

The current computer he has is a 1.4 gig. It hasnt been working properly though so he wants a new one. The reasons for the processor speed, the dvd burner and the motherboard i chose is because it has firewire and he is still thinking about getting a camera in the near future (sorry i forgot to mention this). So he would want to do some editing with the good programs that are available about 2 years from now.

In terms of money, he said no more than $1000 but obviously wouldnt mind it being cheaper.

Ok...that's what we needed to know. 1000 is NOT a budget PC.

You can build a rocket, and still have loot to spare.
    Firewire is no longer a big deal. Any mid to high end board will have that.

What you want is a case that has a front Firewire input...for ease of use.

yup, pretty much what i needed in the case. My friend also wants one with nice colors (dont ask why) so thats why i picked this case. Im not too sure about the cooling though.

Another thing, I have convinced him to take the 2500 as an option. But i would have to convince him on the extra things that he would be getting (good monitor, printer, etc.).

Ill be posting some links for a good monitor and such. He also wants a Tv card.

If he gets a full computer package (computer, monitor, and possibly a printer) he doesnt mind it going a little over 1000.

Also, im not sure if firewire is needed anymore cause i believe he can transfer anything from his camera with the tv card. But im not too sure on that.
    Last edited by dcman; 05-31-2005 at 10:05 PM.

Its just my opinion for what its worth but I think you did fine overall in your choices.

He gets a good 64 bit processor and the Mobo is a good one as are the other choices.

If he already has a computer then a monitor is not in his primary needs..nor other stuff like sound cards or speakers and keyboard...so those are fine choices.

I might want to get a little better memory and right now beings that it is getting cheaper finally for last genration stuff,,( DDR ) ,then I would opt for OZC or Crutial. Even Corsair can be had for good prices now. Much cheaper then when I got mine.

He will want to pick out his own case I would think...and again so many good ones out there with 4-420 watt PSU included....under $100.00.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Since he's not on such a tight budget as we thought, I'd get a good, solid name brand PSU anyways. Ebay off the cheap one.

Most of the time, when you get a 70 dollar case with a 400W PSU, the PSU is garbage.

Antec, Sparkle, Enermax, Fortron are all winners....

People often overlook the most critical part of the PC, the PSU...It's the heart of the PC.