Thread: windows boot manager supporting xp and debian

windows boot manager supporting xp and debian

Hi to all,

I was using windows XP (on a 4GB hd, as master) and debian linux (on another 4GB hd, as slave). I was booting from the xp hd, using grub. I have replaced the windows hd with a newer one, and copied all my windows files to the new hd, but not the mbr. My problem is now that I can only boot into the windows hd. The hd with the linux is there, with all its data intact, but I cannot boot into it. The old windows hd in no longer in my hands (so I could copy its mbr).
    I have no debian boot disk.

So, any suggestions for a boot manager that I can install using windows and that will recognize both the windows and debian hard disks?

PS: I'm pretty experienced with windows, but a total newbie regarding linux.
    Question Everything

Ultimate Member
    Installing Windows regularly b0rks the Linux booter. No way around it, you're going to have to reinstall GRUB.

And the way to do that is ... ?
    As I've explained I know very little about linux, and also I currently do NOT have access to the linux partition.
    Question Everything

Ultimate Member
    I guess the GRUB homepage would be a starting point. There might even be a windows-based installation tool.