Thread: 0x07B error after making a repair install of windows

0x07B error after making a repair install of windows

After trying to repair install windows because I was getting an a$$load of blue screens, it will not boot at all and will give me a stop error, 0x07b. After having searched the microso9ft knowledge base, I haven't found anything related to the issue. It only talk about windows NT, and I am on windowsXP home.

Looks like I am stuck trying to format, am I? I have 3 partitions, could I simply format the partition on which my operating system is?

Thanks for the help again, I would be in deep trouble witouth knowledgeable persons like you guys!

what problems were you having in the first place? did you run a hdd and memory diagnostic? do that first, since there is no point in trying to reinstall software on bad hardware.

I have read a repair install is no longer a good idea if you have SP2 installed. You really need to do a complete reinstall with a slipstreamed XP disc. Thank you very much Microshaft.

To answer your question about the partitions, I wouldn't format any of them, just reinstall and try and save as much as you can, but like I said do it with a slipstreamed cd and like Midknyte suggested test your hardware from a dos prompt first.
    Last edited by ukulele; 05-23-2005 at 11:42 PM.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "slipstreamed" cd? I have the cd that originally came with the cpu (compaq, don't bash too much) does slipstreamed mean a cd that was bought by itself?

Also as to how to test hardware in dos, I'm a n00b when it comes to dos prompts. Anywhere telling how to do that?

Slipstreaming: Integrating service packs and updates into an existing operating system installation disk.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

Tech Tools

get autostreamer for slipstreaming.

there are also hard drive and memory diags on that thread. please look at the "stickies" since they have answers to common questions.