Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: The Judicial Filibuster

Originally posted by mireland
    I think someone should do to this thread like they did to that chick down in florida......PULL THE PLUG!
    Go back to eating your donuts. You'll die faster and the world won't be so painful for you.

Originally posted by ukulele
    Go back to eating your donuts. You'll die faster and the world won't be so painful for you.
    Yo momma!

Originally posted by PersianKnight
    Think about it...as long as there has been a country known as 'Britain' or 'UK' - it had not done as much damage within 250 years of its conception as had the US. True...countries and Empires have done lots of killing and raping throughout the years - but no country has ever done so much damage since its conception as a state or 'people' in as quick a time and large a scale as the US. For that...the US deserves to be awarded a medal.
    Well, at least America isn't so forked up that people have to sail across the ocean to start an entirely new country....

To escape religious persecution, but it wasn't long before they instigated there own religious persecution.
    And it's not stopped to this day, if anything it's on the rise again.
    Last edited by werz; 06-02-2005 at 11:35 PM.

Originally posted by ScaryBinary
    Well, at least America isn't so forked up that people have to sail across the ocean to start an entirely new country....

If there was a frontier left I would be on my way.

Sometimes mefinks organized religion is the art of blaming one's feelings of persecution on some other group... kinda like politics

Me Pops always said "Everybody's got a monkey on their back"

Originally posted by genesound
    Sometimes mefinks organized religion is the art of blaming one's feelings of persecution on some other group... kinda like politics

Me Pops always said "Everybody's got a monkey on their back"
    Organized religion is anything BUT organized!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Anyone who believes in an invisible being in the sky is not worth the oxygen they use to preach.

The sky is not a very big place by todays standards, but I hear you

Nobody expects the inquisition

Back to the original premise for this thread, which concerned the filibuster, I believe. The filibuster is there to be used by both parties. Our political system, a democracy, was envisioned to give all people representation in government. It is merely part of the system of checks & balances conceived by our forefathers to prevent any one political party from gaining too much power. The fact that any party would consider doing away with the filibuster is reprehensible. As we can see now in America when one party gains too much power we become more divided. The filibuster is a tool we should keep & not dilute. As one Republican stated, we may need it one day ourselves. As for which party is whining, from my perspective it is the party that wishes to change the rules so that they may have their way. Much like a child does in the grocery store when they can’t have a candy bar before a meal. Usually it is the person who is not having their way who would be considered a whiner.

Let me fuel the fire.

Republican conservatism is the greatest threat to democracy in the world today. Promises are made to ethnic groups & token individuals are on display but promises aren’t kept. Once the votes are gotten they are forgotten. There are many, many right wing propaganda sites on television, radio, & on the internet that take an element of truth & twist it to their own agenda & sadly so many people who cannot, or will not, think for themselves believe it as the gospel. A recent poll of high school graduates showed that a large percentage believe some restraint of free speech is ok. Free speech is the cornerstone of democracy. These propaganda sites are having an effect. When candidates are running for office they are given equal time on radio & television in order to give both sides a voice, & the people a choice. Too many no longer want a choice. They are content to be spoon-fed half-truths & lies so long as it fits their way of thinking.
    Our forefathers wisely called for separation of church & state. Now we have a political party whose people believe it is a religion. We need only look to the Muslim extremists or the kamikaze pilots of World War II who believed their emperor was a god to see what evil can be done in the name of religion. Sadly some people devote more energy to politics than saving souls though they claim to be good God fearing folk. Much like the crazy person is the last to know they are crazy they are largely hypocrites.

Well said mcool. It's crazy how the nation can be turned from a free country with a free press to a nation of cattle afraid to go to the library anymore. Much of the present hysteria is due to right wing propaganda and pure hate of any liberal thinkers who might rock the boat of Christian fundamentalism. Now there is a book out my Dr. Michael Savage titled "Liberalism is a Mental Disorder". I listen to him regularly as I do many other talk shows. He is an egotistical sot with a big mouth and a superiority complex. I have never heard him once let the opposition speak and if anyone even tries to oppose him he begins to yell and go crazy to the point of foaming at the mouth, yet he insists he is one of America's greatest patriots. What is disturbing is many of his followers actually think he is a God of sorts when in fact he is a failure as a doctor (he was trained as a nutritionist) so he went into radio. He reminds us at ever opportunity what a great doctor he is so the dummies will think he really is smart but the fact is he is no more then a mouthy bigot and particularly hates poor people. His entire stance is about hate. It is himself that has lost all sanity.

This is what the new leaders of the right all seem to be pushing now. Their solution to everything is hate and domination. Just today I heard him accuse Amnesty International of being a communist organization that is trying to undermine America. I just predicted that in another thread "Abuse? Not. How uncouth." Come on, how passe. Someone just the other day actually tried to tie the terrorist in with communists. Come on, the communists self destructed nearly 20 years ago. Doesn't anyone read the real news anymore?

People are now actually afraid to voice any opinion but a safe one for fear of being branded a commie or a terrorist by these big mouthed bigots. This is exactly why profiling people because of their reading habits is so destructive to a free nations such as we once had. People are becoming afraid to stand up to anyone anymore.