Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Judicial Filibuster

The Judicial Filibuster

Since the Senate is on a collision course over this:
    - with the Repubs itching to throw out the option of the filibuster for judicial nominees, claiming that there should just be an up or down vote
    - and the Dems fighting like mad to keep the filibuster, saying that it's only way that the minority party has to block majority nominees since they don't have the numbers with the vote

...who's right? Or is there a happy-medium on this one?

they're both wrong and should have large objects shoved up various orifices!

Originally posted by mireland
    large objects shoved up various orifices!
    Like Tom DeLay's head?

Originally posted by tantone
    Like Tom DeLay's head?
    American politics frustrates the BEJESUS outta me...

I say whoever is in office after GWBush just undoes everything Bush did, including firing all the judges he picked.

PS: I'm unclear as to whether Tom DeLay's head is the large object or the orifice...or both?

I'm suprised at the senate. Think how much overtime they can all pick the pockets of the taxpayers for with a good old fashioned filibuster and they don't have to do anything but listen to liberal speeches with the same old earplugs they always use. Funny how when there was a Democratic majority back in 85 it was the Republicans who wanted to keep the rules the way they were for the last 15 or 20 decades. What is most ironic is that no senator in todays easy chairs is going to actually do that much work in a month, much less pull an all nighter. The days of politicians actually working for a living are all over. All any of them do anymore is vote and hang around the country club. Their aids do all the real work and their aids can't filibuster. What they are all whining about is they just want to vote and go get drunk again.

That's Ted Kennedy.

The confidence that the public has in the Senate right now is VERY low, according to recent polls. For good reason too.

Hey uke, we agree on the fact that the repubs love to say "these are the rules and traditions" when it benefits them, but the first to toss them out the door when it may hurt them (Tom DeLay's allegations and the judicial filibuster). Drives me nuts!!!!

I figure that, whatever changes--deemed to be not-so-good--made by the republican majority right now will just be reversed and corrected (possibly to a not-so-good on the other end of the spectrum) when the dems have the majority again. And in time, they average each other out for a generally moderate, centerist position.

This time the Reps are wrong. As one said this morning in an interview. "What happens when we are the minority and we need it?"

Originally posted by chubtub
    This time the Reps are wrong. As one said this morning in an interview. "What happens when we are the minority and we need it?"
    I don't disagree with you, but to play devil's advocate...

What about the idea that the majority, being voted into those positions by their constituents, should be able to get their way. After all, they ARE the majority.

I agree they are the majority and should have more power. But there is a difference between more power and total control. What happens in the next weeks will change America in a big way.

The ruling party still must be kept in check or every 4, 8 years this country would be in disarray.

Originally posted by chubtub
    or every 4, 8 years this country would be in disarray.
    Depending on who you ask, that's exactly what happens already.

True, but we would have larger shifts to the right or left. Or worse no shifts at all. The ruling party could set the rules to favor them in the next election. Why stop if you are going to change the rules and have no one to stop you from changing them.

I figure that, whatever changes--deemed to be not-so-good--made by the republican majority right now will just be reversed and corrected (possibly to a not-so-good on the other end of the spectrum) when the dems have the majority again. And in time, they average each other out for a generally moderate, centerist position.
    I think you are far too optimistic at this point in the game. These kinds of rule changes (don't forget what Delay has already done with stacking committees) and the stacking of the courts with ultra right judges will have a profound effect on the two party system. The sole purpose of the proposed changes to senate rules concerning filibusters is to effectively close the door to any last challenge that the Democratic party will ever have to stacking the deck or passing bills that are just plain ultra right. In other words it will be the end of the two party system as we know it for a long, long time, at least until the people finally wake up and realize they are loosing the battle of saving their own environment and their freedom of choice. Now for the Republicans (who are masquerading as conservatives but hell bent on wasting what is left of our environment and resources for the sake of profit and at the same time eliminating our free choices) this is a wonderful plan, considering how they hate the poor and the non-Christians, but for the country it means we have allowed the country to slip into one party rule, monotheism and the destruction of the balance of power that we now enjoy.

I'm an ardent non-Christian who is pro-choice, and I still don't feel these changes are all that culture-threatening.

ukulele <-- what he said