Thread: Gigabyte K8NS Ultra939 - dead??

Gigabyte K8NS Ultra939 - dead??

Brand new:

Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939 motherboard
    1GB (2x512) Mushkin value Dual Channel Kit
    450w MGE Power supply
    80gb WD SATA150 hdd
    3000+ Athlon 64 "Venice" core

Just the bare minimum is installed (i.e. mobo, video card, ram, hdd) and the system WILL power on. However, nothing is displayed on the screen and all I get are long continuous beeps. After consulting the manual, it says that Continuous long beeps = DRAM error. What is a "DRAM error"? Will I have to replace my motherboard, ram, or..?

I've checked every connection over and over and it's all there as it should be, I just can't understand why it will power up but not display anything? It could be the video card (128mb ti4200 8x) but it was working fine in my old system minutes earlier... so I doubt that. Any ideas??

Help!

Ok.. I reseated the memory and all is well. Only question is, is it normal for the CPU fan to turn OFF about 10-15 seconds after booting up? I've read that this is OK and is just a part of "Cool 'N Quiet" that will slow down or shut off the fan if CPU temps are low (i.e. at boot). I'm still afraid to run my computer for more than 2 seconds after it shuts off... I need some advice to give me the confidence of running a PC without the CPU fan on.. even if that's only for a few seconds.. scares the **** out of me!

You can disable Cool N Quiet in your BIOS.