Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Digital Camera

That the pool house is it?

Originally posted by ShadeZeRO
    well, i cropped a picture, and made it smaller...went from like 45inches to 6 inches in width...

it looses alot of quality i think when u shrink it...but, the origional is very nice.

Using windows picturer viewer and Irfanview, your pic still looks good expanded to 864x648 slight jaggies on the car and window

Originally posted by millwork
    Here's the best site I've found for camera reviews.

John B.
    Point of information, if your inclined to spend $600. US for a camera. The highest rating EVER for a point and shoot, fixed lens camera is the Olympus C-8080, 8 MP. The lens is made in the same factory as their Digital Single Lens Reflex interchangeable lens and uses 3 ED lens elements the same as their professional interchangeable lens. Running a very close second is the Panasonic FZ-20 camera with the Leica Elmarit lens.

Even though these are the top Fixed Lens Prosumer cameras they still can't compare with an interchangeable lens, Single Lens Reflex camera such as the Nikon D-70 equiped with even mediocre interchangeable lens. Yesterday I was shooting some pics with a new Nikon CP-8800, 8 MP digicam. The results were great but still can't compare to my Canon 10D even with a Sigma 18-50mm mediocre lens. The Nikon cost about $900 COMPLETE and I have ONE lens for my Canon that cost more......you get what you pay for, true?
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Originally posted by Prushka
    Zybch...looks very clean/sharp
    Why thank you, flattery will get you everywhere.

yeah those were some cool shots... As a broadcast video engineer i regularly work with 70x lenses from Fuji and Canon on high end video cameras. The performance of the glass is very impressive, but keep in mind that just the lens costs more than most cars... over $50,000 USD

If you ever watch pro football on TV in the USA, you're lookin through a million bucks of just cameras and glass at plain old NTSC resolution
    Last edited by genesound; 05-16-2005 at 03:55 AM.

Hello ShadeZeRO,

Methinks you have made a wise choice. I played around with a DSC P200 yesterday afternoon. Within it's "class" and "price point" it is at the top and I'm not sure there is a rival...Yes, I know that's a bold statement...but it's my opinion.

Ergonomics is excellent, easy to get comfortable with navigating the menu, default settings are perfect for getting started with the camera's use and there's a good mix of features to get creative. Although I prefer aperature priority, that's most typical with higher line cameras and not really an evaluation factor in this class of cameras. The camera's construction feels substantial.

About your sample picture: Unless you have had significant tutoring in "composition," I think you are an emerging talent. The balance (corner-to-corner) is super with a good contrast of light vs dark and sub-subject vs subject. Not many folks would have chosen this image to display because they would have tryed to center on a particular sub-subject. You have chosen an image that includes several and they "balance" the look of the overall image. Well done!

As far as the camera's abilities that pertain to your picture, the most impressive would be the amount of detail in the darker areas. The details present within the reflection of the windows are absolutely superb. And most cameras would have sampled the light that's present on the other side of the doors...result would have been a darker image. Did you adjust the brightness and contrast with software? If not, the camera's logic was great. If you did, that's not a negative toward the camera...It lends itself more toward your talent as a photographer.

The technical specifications, albeit excellent, do not do this camera justice in comparison to others in it's class. Hands-on comparison gives me a more comfortable and natural "feel" and the resulting images look great.

I really could go on and on, but again: Well done!

John B.

BTW Billforce: You said, "......you get what you pay for, true?" Generally speaking, yes. However, there are exceptions. One needs to define parameters such as "class" and "price point" as well as "needs" and "desires." Within these parameters, the most expensive is not always the best choice. In this case, I would respectfully submit that the Sony DSC P200 is superior to many cameras that cost a lot more.

Gene!

I'm never one to pass up a bargain. The "get what you pay for" was basically referring to the jump from Digicam to DSLR. Big price difference.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Hello Billforce,

"Gene!"??

I now get what you said...overlooked your point. And with respect to that, you are "on the mark" as usual. I was kinda "focused" (note the pun) on the basics of the thread and overlooked your point.

John B.

Porsch: Yes, thats the house with the pool

Millwork: All the settings i used were default, and i took a picture of the front door because there were alot of colors, and dark area's (like u stated). i did not change any of the brightness settings in that shot (i pointed, shooted, and shurnk it like mad).

i do think it was a great price for what you get also..I even took a movie with it (clips)...and it looks great on the computer...Im going to make a drifting and racing video with it on friday...and since this is easier to transfer to the computer, i think ill use it...

Hello

Excellent! And movie clips was another impressive feature that I did not address. The only limitation is storage size and you already took care of that with the 512mb Memory Stick. I applaud that decision too. As I recall, it operates at 30 fps with a pretty high resolution (640 x 480???) and that also will use a lot of storage...does it have other settings like 15 fps with the same resolution? Oftimes the fps is opposed to resolution (faster fps uses a lower resolution). But, if you can control both, a little more duration can be had with a fixed amount of storage.

John B.

yep, you can change some settings in the movie mode...i've yet to figure that out...i will soon enough tho, i remember a 16second clip was like 5.1mb.

Prushka, I like the D70 very much. I've had 3 digital cameras prior to it: Canon S10, Canon A70, and Fuji S602. They are all point and shoot, although the Fuji can be classified as advanced point and shoot, with it's big, long lens and full manual controls.

Before I bought my digital camera 4 and a half years ago, I wasn't really much into photography, and thus didn't use much more than a film point and shoot.

I've enticed people into buying digital cameras from my photos, from digital compacts when that was what I had, to digital SLRs after I got my D70. I'm only an amateur, but I have been around great photos all of my life, with my dad, sister, and brother-in-law having been professional photographers.

Speaking of movies, when I got my Fuji S602, the major selling point for me was the movie mode. At the time, it was the only digicam that could take movies at 640x480 at 30 fps with the only limit in size being storage space. I've only taken a few movie clips with it, so losing out on movie clips with a digital SLR was no big deal for me. I could always bring my S602 around if I still wanted to that.

Thanks for the feedback