Thread: MSI K8N Neo4

MSI K8N Neo4

I just built this rig and I can't get it to work in any other mode than manual. It won't boot in optimized or if the dynamic overclocking is enabled. I have two devices in Device Manager in WinXPHome that are in the "other" category and no matter what I do I can't even figure out what they are much less load driver's for them. Anyone had a similar problem?

Rig:

MSI K8N Neo4
    AMD64 3000
    Nvidia 6600GT
    1gig of CORSAIR ValueSelect (2 x 512MB) PC3200
    512MB of Geil PC3200 (2X256)
    NEC 5 port USB add in
    Seagate ST32008224 200GB HDD
    CD/DVD Player
    BenQ DVD/RW

This boards has a big issue with running in dual channel mode and with what slots ram goes in. The only reason I had a heads up on it was is saw posts about it on the reviews on newegg. It was causing crashing and other issues. Other then the memory issue I havent had any problems nor has a friend of mine that has one too. You are running the same ram I am it has to be in dimm 1 and 2 or green and purple or the system wont be stable. This was diffrent the most dual channel slots I had ever worked with before.

Oh I just noticed your running all 4 slots with ram. Look in the manuel page 2.8 and it tells you about memory. I would take the 2-256 chips out and put the 2-512s into dimm1 and 2 and it should work. This board has a major issue with single sided and double sided ram the only way it will run 4 slots is with single sided ram and I dont think any of the ram you have is single sided. It says it will do 4 double sided but it wont do dual channel and its only at 333 . From what I have seen it also wont run stable with 4 double sided ram chips.

I took out the Geil memory and left the Corsair seems to be OK but I still have the issue of the two unknown devices that I can't load drivers for. The odd thing is everything sems to be working rather well.

Do you have yours overclocked at all. I can get past the post with optimized on and any sort of dynamic overclocking, but Windows XP won't start. Could that be a ram issue as well?

Motherboard drivers installed? Are all the drivers for each device installed? Try removing both devices from Device Manager then reboot. See what driver its trying to find for each device. Should also tell you what each device is.

Contrary to popular belief, Windows doesn't have drivers for every conceivable device in existence. Run your motherboard CD and install all drivers.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I actually wasn't suffering under that delusion there Mr. Bill.

I have removed the devices several hundred times and attempted to force every conceivable device driver, that doesn't already have a driver running, on it but nothing seems to want to take. Like I said everything seems to work so I'm certain that I am not as anal as Mr. Bill, his own bad self, when it comes to question marks on his device managers, of which I'm sure there are sveral dozen running flawlessly at any given moment in his computer heaven, so I guess I'll just live with it for the time being as everything else pretty much cooks right along.

Sarcasm will get you nowhere.

Are we to assume that you've installed all motherboard drivers? You didn't mention whether you did or not. The fault does not lie with us - or me.

Communication is everything.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Have you installed the motherboard drivers from the install CD yet?
    Throw us a bone here.

he's gone....doesn't sound like he really wanted much help anyway