Thread: Warranty information wanted regarding spyware

Warranty information wanted regarding spyware

I’m basically looking to see what other people like my self tell there customers when it comes to there system hammered with spyware because of downloainding, even when you have couched them when you built and installed there system, how can I type this into my new warranty information without insulting anyone, I have it in my warranty but I don’t think im getting the point across. And im getting more and more people calling me because there system is running slow, they think there’s something wrong with there system, until I do a scan and show them 600 and more spyware in there system, they still question it, I send an email out at least once a month regarding scans and good maintenance I don’t have to do that but I do because I know how frustrating it can be, if someone could give me some tips as to how I can get this into my warranty and make it clear I would be grateful.

PS: my Highest scan to date was 1328 on ad-aware crazy

I'd put something in prominently about it being the user's responsibility to install (if it doesn't come pre-installed) antivirus, anti-adware, AND firewall software, AND keep them updated. That way when the doofuses call you to complain about running slow, you can point to the warranty clause about security, and say "You should have followed that. Now, if you need help making things right, I can do that, but I will have to charge you for out-of-warranty service."
    -- Sharky
    Overclock Results: http://www.sysopt.com/cgi-bin/overc/readfull.cgi?record=12574
    Currently using Inspiron 9100 and Latitude CPxj

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    You can list the services you provide free and then list the ones you will charge for.

Specifically list spyware and viruses as an extra charge (say $75 up front before the scan) and they will soon get the point.

you should put in a blanket statement for all software, not just hardware.

if you own a car and you run over a nail, warranty ain't gonna cover that because you inflicted the damage yourself. it's not because the tire was defective from the factory. same with software. if you run over a "nail" aka spyware or virus, then you gotta fix the problem yourself or call AAA.

we draw the line very clearly. only hardware failure is covered by warranty; all other problems are $$$ services. HP, Compaq, eMachines, Toshiba, etc. only cover hardware failure under normal use. They will not pay for software "nails". If the OEM doesn't pay me, guess who does? The customer. I got bills to pay, so I can't be doing charity work.

now if you sell an extended warranty plan with software coverage included, then that's another option. at least you'll get something out of it.

bottomline: you can't be a nice guy in this business anymore. you won't survive. venting a little, Mid? you bet your sweet bippy.

Originally posted by Midknyte
    bottomline: you can't be a nice guy in this business anymore. you won't survive. venting a little, Mid? you bet your sweet bippy.
    Venting a little there mid from the sounds of it you seem like you get a call or two like that eh?

I have looked over my warranty information just to double check and make sure I had it listed and I do, but I feel I need to insert it some where they cant miss it. I did change it and its now on the first page at the top, in big bold black lettering. I have also send out and email copy of the warranty to my current customers, lets see if they get it this time eh

Try like 4 or 5 a day.

You need to charge for your time, period. here's why:

1) you will get paid what you deserve. Your time is valuable, just like theirs. don't be a sucker and do customers favors. you're only hurting yourself. pretty soon all your work will be gratis and you'll be eating macaroni and cheese for dinner every night. I don't know about you, but I like a steak once in a while.

2) it will put the customer in the mindset that they will be charged if they don't protect themselves: that's a sales opportunity for your to sell antispyware/antivirus software. you could also sell a 1 year "software coverage" plan to cover software issues. you may not get as much as charging for each service call, but it's something.

3) it will free up more time to work on "real" problems. that means a faster response time for dead cdroms, bad memory, etc. that will make you look better.

I've been working this business too long to be a nice guy. If you keep doing favors, you will get burned. I got the scars to prove it.

Install Firefox on their system and set it to their default web browser. That will almost eliminate them recieving spyware from just browsing the web.

Of course you already know that you can get spyware by installing "useful" programs - but it would help cut it down a lot.
    - Avor

Firefox isn't immune, especially in the hands of the average luser. You want to stop them from getting virii, sell them a cable modem with no internals, a floppy drive with no head, and an optical drive minus the laser. That is the only way you have a chance against their idiocy.

Hey hey now. If it wasn't for these lusers, we wouldn't have a job, right? hehe

I still find it funny that microsoft's command to control users on a local computer is lusrmgr.msc

Getting back to topic. Firefox is great (using it right now in fact), but you have to look at the bigger picture. Is he going to have to reinstall Turbotax when the customer screws it up? What about MS Office or Adobe photoshop?

Like I mentioned earlier, a blanket statement about all software including spyware would help. Some people just don't learn until it hurts them in their wallets.

Originally posted by Someone Stupid
    Firefox isn't immune, especially in the hands of the average luser. You want to stop them from getting virii, sell them a cable modem with no internals, a floppy drive with no head, and an optical drive minus the laser. That is the only way you have a chance against their idiocy.
    I know. But since it is *much* better than IE. It doesn't support Active X controls at all; making it almost impossible to "accidently" get infested with spyware for just loading a webpage.
    - Avor

Print out a list of web addresses of recommended free anti-spy\adware, anti-virus, anti-hacking programs & give a copy to each & every Client!

State clearly that if a Client calls you out to their machine & the issue stems from poor security management - they will be charged for your time and any extra software that you have to install to fix the issue.

Never install third party software on any computer! Let the Client get to know how this is done by reading the Manual provided with any software worth paying for.

If a call relates to any third party software - you should recommend they call customer services dept. of whoever made the software. tell them it will be cheaper for them to do that, compared to what you will charge them. Let them know that you no longer offer software support - but for a fee you might be able to take a look.

Always quote your hourly rate when you arrive at the premises so they understand that this is no "freebie".

If you didn't write the program - why should you be expected to guarantee it? Let the Software houses provide support for the software they make millions of £'s selling.
    making it almost impossible to "accidently" get infested with spyware for just loading a webpage.
    It supports Java though & that too has it's weaknesses!

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Midknyte said it all, I'll give them a lecture with history whether they like it or not pointing out afterwards that if I have to go there they will be charged like any other visit.

Well I’m getting my 3rd one this week, spyware infested to say the least, I called and told the lady that threes going to be a charge on it, she did ask if that was not covered in the warranty I told her NO! She wasn’t happy but she did see it in the warranty the older one that is, so I’m sending out my revised one that I completed lastnight. Clearly stating no software installed on the system comes with a hardware warranty nor does it cover spyware removal and Virus removal, of course it doesn’t sound like that but it gets the point across

I found it a good idea to knock up a few PDF documents, one each for spyware, viruses, security and backups, then stick them on the desktop of every PC I sell (or repair).

I also have a section in my warranty that basicaly says 'you screw it up, you pay for me to fix it' regarding any virii, spyware or faults in software that I haven't installed.
    I don't mind fixing the problems, its all $$ in my pocket and they can usually be fixed fairly easily (I take my time doing it though, so they believe that its a much bigger prob than it is). I do love steak too

There is however, no hope for some people. I have also gotten a score above 1300 in adaware, and one PC had more than 3000 virus infections (she used NAV). I'm happy to keep taking their money as they continuiously screw their PCs around, but I'm getting real sick of some people who just won't learn.

It seems that there are people out there who believe that:
    "Computers are difficult to understand, so I'm not going to bother trying to understand them"
    These jerks are my bread and butter.