Thread: What Would You Do if.. (Shoddy System Builder)

What Would You Do if.. (Shoddy System Builder)

What would you do in my shoes?

Friend's ex-roommate does some computer upgrade/build work. He put together a budget system for friend's mom, and provided WinXP Pro. I am doing the rest of the software installation.

XP was not yet activated, so I started the activation process, only to run into "According to our records, the number of times you can activate Windows with this product key has been exceeded." There was no disc provided with the system. I am not impressed with the builder's level of motivation, from what I've observed of him, and this looks worse no matter how I look at it.

My thoughts: Recommend friend return the system to the builder and demand refund in full. Proceed to put together a better and fully legitimate package myself.

Any other ideas?
    -- Sharky
    Overclock Results: http://www.sysopt.com/cgi-bin/overc/readfull.cgi?record=12574
    Currently using Inspiron 9100 and Latitude CPxj

what's the fuzz about?

if it's just XP

then BUY and ORIGINAL winXP, and problem is over

what i mean is, it has Nothing to do with the Hardware.

unless there was somewhere in Writing he/she/you must provide a CD for WinXP
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Or download and install Linux which is free.......but no one knows how to use it.

The key word here is "budget." I wouldn't get all fired up and demand a refund if the person gave you a good deal. You get what you pay for after all.

If the "deal" included a working OS then it's a bad deal. Need to find out the terms..

Maybe the builder only provided the OS as a method of proving the hardware installation was actually working.

The builders "Motivation" has no bearing on the build! If it works - job done. The software is your domain.

my advice is not to just buy a new license - buy a new CD for ease of future reinstalls.

Last edited by Strawbs; 03-19-2005 at 09:04 AM.

A lot of private builders do that. They'll slap on XP but not activate it as a means to prove the hardware functions upon delivery. After the 30 day trial period is up its your responsibilty to legally obtain your own operating system.

What's the specs and how much did it cost?

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by AllGamer
    what's the fuzz about?

if it's just XP

then BUY and ORIGINAL winXP, and problem is over

what i mean is, it has Nothing to do with the Hardware.

unless there was somewhere in Writing he/she/you must provide a CD for WinXP
    The "fuss" is quite clear actually. The computer was provided WITH the OS (Windows XP in this case) and this comptuer was paid for. If he paid for it, he should already have a new licence that has never been activated. The actual disk isn't the issue, its the licence, activation, and the fact that it was paid for.

Did your friend pay for a copy of windows xp to be put onto the system? If he did, then he needs to have the builder get him a valid CD-key. If not, then your friend will have to get a legit copy. But the hardware is fine and i wouldnt return it and demand a refund, just get a good OS running and he will be fine.
    AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.41GHZ : Asus M3A78-T : 8GB DDR2 800 : Acer 23" 1080P Widescreen : ATi Radeon HD 4870 : OCZ GameXtremE 850 Watt PSU

The agreement, on paper, did include a working OS by implication ("Will install Windows XP Professional"). But what I didn't know was that my friend told the guy to use an old, been-everywhere copy of XP (which friend provided) in order to cut cost. I disapprove still, but Microsoft's activation call center let us get it up and working, so the problem is past. Thanks for the feedback, all.
    -- Sharky
    Overclock Results: http://www.sysopt.com/cgi-bin/overc/readfull.cgi?record=12574
    Currently using Inspiron 9100 and Latitude CPxj

Ultimate Member
    Ahh, well in that case AG was correct... It wasn't the system builders fault, it was your buddies. Funny how minor details like that can shift the blame 180 degrees.

glad you got it worked out. Hope everything works ok.
    AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.41GHZ : Asus M3A78-T : 8GB DDR2 800 : Acer 23" 1080P Widescreen : ATi Radeon HD 4870 : OCZ GameXtremE 850 Watt PSU

Originally posted by shark_megabyte
    I disapprove still, but Microsoft's activation call center let us get it up and working, so the problem is past. Thanks for the feedback, all.
    Just out of curiosity, what did they say about it? Or did they just not care? I guess they could be used to it.
    - Avor