Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Free Mobile\Cell Phone Themes, Ringtones, Games?

Originally posted by bob05

So BTW people, what phones do you all have? I have a Sony Ericsson T610 now (not bad for a teenager ) and I use to have a Nokia 3595. I am thinking of a SE K750i or a SE V800 next, but the K750 is unreleased and the V800 is hardly available and very expensive.
    I'm on my 4th consecutive Ericsson! I had a couple years ago, but switched to different makes for the experience. I switched back to SE's because they were the first to offer Bluetooth & Tri-band on their better models.

I've found most Nokia's to be vulnerable to signal loss if accidentally dropped more than one or two times! I personally don't like the menu structure on Motorola's, but in general they are good quality! I even tried a Mitsubishi once ...because I like their cars & thought their phones would be just as good! Big Mistake! It was so bad that I deliberately kept knocking it around until they took it back as a lemon & let me choose a different make for a replacement.

I thought things would change for the worse when Sony tied themselves to Ericsson with the T68i - I already owned the original Ericsson T68 (still have it & it still works) - Up until then, Sony phones had always been "Lacking", but apart from the lighter materials used now, the phones are just as good as they always were, and they're still up near the front of the pack when it comes to technology! I think Sony just wanted something decent to sell & Ericsson call the shots when it comes to R+D.

My wife always gets my hand-me-downs for a year & she has the T610 at the moment - she's complaining she can't get enough themes on there & it won't play mp3's! I think she's angling for a brand new phone of her own.

Originally posted by Calrath
    We have pay as you go as well as contract plans here in the US as well. Our contract plans work similar, but typically only include voice minutes.
    I was with a local arm of T-mobile (Iwireless) this time last year, and they offered unlimited incoming AND unlimited local calls with their prepaid package. No stipulations as to day/time, either. Downside was there was no integrated long-distance billing scheme (you had to use a calling card) and no roaming ability at all.

So there is unlimited incoming out there, you just have to hunt for it.
    -- Sharky
    Overclock Results: http://www.sysopt.com/cgi-bin/overc/readfull.cgi?record=12574
    Currently using Inspiron 9100 and Latitude CPxj

Originally posted by shark_megabyte
    I was with a local arm of T-mobile (Iwireless) this time last year, and they offered unlimited incoming AND unlimited local calls with their prepaid package. No stipulations as to day/time, either. Downside was there was no integrated long-distance billing scheme (you had to use a calling card) and no roaming ability at all.

Oh, of course it's out there. I was just talking about the standard nation-wide carriers however. Cricket operates as a local carrier an offers unlimited incoming/outgoing for a flat rate per month. 39.99 I believe. But it's only local coverage, no roaming at all, you can only use the phone in your own city basically.

Back when AT&T first lauched their GSM network they also had an unlimited minutes plan for $100/month. I think thier's was actually nation-wide.

So if you take your phone to another State you're classed as roaming and charged extra for calls & the like?

Originally posted by Strawbs
    So if you take your phone to another State you're classed as roaming and charged extra for calls & the like?
    No, the phone just doesn't work at all! It displays "No Service" and can only be used for 911 emergency calls.

Each of our major nationwide carriers does have a set of plans much like what you just described. More minutes (typically 1000) for use in a local area, and anywhere else is considered roaming and is an extra charge.

The typical plans of each nationwide carrier do include nationwide roaming on thier network for free. My carrier (Sprint) also has an add-on option for $5/month that I can roam on any network my phone can use for free.
    Last edited by Calrath; 03-21-2005 at 07:39 PM.

Originally posted by shark_megabyte

Are you sure T-Mobile is the one running prepaid I-Wireless? Over here in Ohio (and a small piece Northwest Kentucky) I-Wireless is ran by Cincinnati Bell: http://www.i-ontheweb.com/

Back on topic, I know Nextel offers a couple unlimited incoming nationwide plans: http://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASAp...nk2;rate_plans

True, nextel does have free incoming plans. They tend to include less outgoing minutes and be more expensive than the other carriers though, so it evens out. I'm wondering what pricing structure the merged Sprint-Nextel will take on. Nextel's free incoming minutes? Or Sprint's "fair-and-flexible", which is basically paying a flat rate for so many minutes and then paying $5/100 minutes over that amount.

Maybe a combination of both?

Originally posted by Calrath
    True, nextel does have free incoming plans. They tend to include less outgoing minutes and be more expensive than the other carriers though, so it evens out. I'm wondering what pricing structure the merged Sprint-Nextel will take on. Nextel's free incoming minutes? Or Sprint's "fair-and-flexible", which is basically paying a flat rate for so many minutes and then paying $5/100 minutes over that amount.

Maybe a combination of both?
    That's an interesting thing to think about, but from what I understand Nextel and Sprint plan to keep their businesses separate, in that Nextel will still appeal to business customers while Sprint will appeal to casual customers/teenagers. I expect their plans to do the same.

l am fascinated by their potential.
    The far east and Japan in particular are verging on obsession with them.

Will Kirk's bmus ever really happen. Who knows.

As thin clients connecting to home networks,
    l predict a bright and innovative future.

The gotcha is screen size but sooner or later someone will crack that problem and away.........

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7685

This one l want. http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7553

Strawbs - check this http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfgtpZ1...ssZhongkongtoy
    Last edited by herosrest; 03-21-2005 at 11:40 PM.

While screen size is still small, screen resolution is improving. Most of the high-end phones have at least 176x220 now. Two of our phones on Sprint have 240x320 QVGA screens. I think the actual screen size problem is limited by how small you want the phone to be. I like a good screen, but i'd also like to be able to carry my phone in my pocket comfortably.