Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Printers

FYI

I bought my wife an Epson CX4600 all in one for Christmas, and it has turned out to be a great printer.
    It prints great photo prints. It doesn't use the 6 colors of ink, just 3 plus black, so it is not that expensive to use. The resolution and color are really good when used with photo paper.
    I would definitely recommend it.

John Kozura IV MCP

The microchipping of cartridges just shows how little the manufacturers care about the enivronment - its all about money and I find it very hypocritical , cynical and downright nasty - possibly one of the worst innovations if you can call it that in the IT market today!

Epson and HP are two of the worst and generally speaking I agree with what G says about HP and Epson!

I did mention the older Epsons and HPs as they dont use the microchip con - Besides very few users can tell the difference between an older printer printing at 1440dpi and a modern one which claims more dpi - All a con on the consumer to keep the upgrading cycle in motion.....

Unfortunately a lot of the replies on various forums tend not to answer the question which in all likelihood comes from a novice - they dont need the most complicated solution or the fastest , swoopiest gadget to sort their problem - they need a fix - so keep it simple and answer the question and lets not get involved in whos the best , whos got the best pc or who knows more than xxx

Geez i get so tired reading the "I know more than you flaming wars".....
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

Omendata, I agree with your comments with respect to the negative ramifications on the environment and the consumer’s pocket.

This is the first time I’ve had a Canon printer and scanner and they have sold me on build quality etc.

So if one is concerned about the environment then we must vote with our money and keep away from companies like Lexmark and HP in particular, and Epson (if they continue with chipping) and so forth.

The same goes for software developers too. With frequent minor updates that are sold an upgrades.

One day they all may get the message that we are not suckers.

The information here has been really helpful. I am learning a lot. So I can run a Canon ip500 on Win 98? A read a small print on the site that said Win 98 can't run a high-speed USB 2.0. can I run it on another type of USB then? USB is something I already have in Win 98, or something that comes with the scanner or another program?

Also, I'm asuming that this printer is the best for photo quality prints. Does the quality improve of prints done on a regular printer then? Rather than a multui-function? I can't spend oodles of money, is the reason I am asking. Thanks.
    Last edited by Nova; 03-04-2005 at 03:44 PM.

So I can run a Canon ip500 on Win 98? A read a small print on the site that said Win 98 can't run a high-speed USB 2.0. can I run it on another type of USB then? USB is something I already have in Win 98, or something that comes with the scanner or another program?
    If you have Win98 "Second Edition", the printer will work - as USB2 is backwards compatable with USB1.1! It will take a little longer for you to get your prints or scan a document however, as the transfer rate will fall to that of your computers version.

Also, I'm asuming that this printer is the best for photo quality prints. Does the quality improve of prints done on a regular printer then? Rather than a multui-function? I can't spend oodles of money, is the reason I am asking.
    Only those here that "sold" that particular printer to you can answer that!

Specification for Canon iP5000, see link below. You mentioned iP500, do you mean the iP5000, which we have been mentioning.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=10439

It is compatible with all Windows OSes from Win98 (including SE) and upward. Therefore, you are ok.

http://alpha02.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900

Do not worry about USB 1.1 and 2.0. For printers this will not be a major problem.

Separates will always be the most cost effective and soundest way to go. A multifunctional device tends to have mid-range equivalents to the manufactures separates.

You get what you pay for. The main advantage in getting a MFD is space; the main reason to go for separates is choice across manufactures and quality of components.

The Canon iP5000 is amazing. It will print beautiful photos, print on CDs and the like. It is the best looking and best-constructed printer I have owned. I can assure you you will not be making a mistake.

The Canon cartridges are cheap full stop, compared to other manufactures, e.g., HP, Lexmark, and Epson, due to their design, but third-party ones are even cheaper. A brand I use in Inkrite.

If you were looking for a cheaper printer, go for the Canon PiXMA iP3000.
    Last edited by G; 03-04-2005 at 04:14 PM.

Ok, thanks! I was just concerned about the note about high-speed USB. As long as I can use it with my OS I don't care much about print speed--only the quality. I'm going to go look for the Canon ip5000 then, and deal with the scanner later. I really like the option to change out the printer heads with individual cartridges. It sounds like the way it prints is better too, using a certain shape nozzle. And just the way it is described here, I think I like it already. Thank you very much for all your time to help me. I really did learn a lot, and I feel confident that I am getting a good deal.

One last thing--are there special Canon papers I need to use in order to get the best print quality? Or anything else I need to know, or buy along with it that's important? Thanks again--sys opt is great!
    Last edited by Nova; 03-04-2005 at 11:37 PM.

Paper from Newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...log=182&DEPA=0

Canon paper compatible with your new printer.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=10439

Normal printer paper is not for printing DVD covers or photos etc because of adsorption and ink dispersion – acts like blotting paper. For these reasons go with paper specifically designed for photo printing, e.g., gloss, matt, satin depending on the photo look you are after.

I cannot say what the difference between manufactures is, pretty much the same I would say, nevertheless you may be able to get third-party paper from the likes of Inkrite (the same people I recommended for ink), which is equally as good but cheaper.

Newegg.com is a good place to start looking at prices at an affordable price.

Lets us know what you think of your new printer when you get it.

For DVD covers, you want something like 140 to160 gram (a measure of thickness) Satin. For photos you can work it out from here what you want. Make sure the gram parameters are inside the Canon IP5000 acceptable parameters.

Enjoy your new printer.

I just went out and bought my Canon iP5000 and I love it!!! It prints very clearly, does great work with photos, has a neat little program that lets you choose which photos to print, and runs so quietly you can hardly tell it's on. I got all 5 full tanks of ink, a small spot of free 4x6 photo plus paper, free cable--all for $199 with a $20 rebate! I am very happy with it--it's perfect for my needs. Now, I'll have to wait a few more months to go back and buy the Canon scanner you were talking about...and maybe after that, a nicer digital camera--all I have is a generic, heh! Thanks so much for your help! You made my day!

PS. and not a single problem running on Win 98

Told yah

Glad you like it.

I'm after the Canon A95 digital camera.

Knew you'd not be disapointed
    Its a great printer.

The biggest problem is that because its quality is so good, it makes all but ultra high quality images look a bit sad

That EasyPhoto Print utility is simply great also. Most bundled software is a big letdown but EPP is one of the rare ones that I'd go out and buy seperatley.
    Pity it will only work so long as you have a canon printer installed.
    Last edited by zybch; 03-08-2005 at 03:39 AM.

Maybe I'll even take a look at the Canon camera before the scanner. I'll need better photos before I need to scan things down and copy them.Have a great day! -Nova