Thread: amd block not level?

amd block not level?

i was about to install the cooler on a 3500 winchester cpu when i noticed that the surface was uneven. the corners have raised dimples which prevent the two faces mating together, it looks intentional but how can the heat transfer if only four dimples make contact? incidentally the cooler is the asus star ice and the m/board is the asus a8nsli deluxe, and the mounting arrangement seems different to that shown in the instructions for the cooler.

http://www.tomshardware.com/firstloo...104/index.html

not sure what you mean by dimples.

well, with the cpu installed, looking down on it, all four corners are raised slightly, just enough so that if you rest a copper cooler block on it and move it slightly you end up with four scratches on the copper where the dimples have dug in.
    as for the star ice cooler, the mounting instructions are not compatible with the m'board. looks like i will have to bodge it with some springs, or make up the correct spacers if i can find out how much compression asus is intending to be put on the cpu when the cooler is tight.

You can lap that heat spreader. Use 400 grit then 800 grit and you will be set to go.

By the way that ASUS cooler is friggin humongous and heavy. checkout the Gigabyte rocket cooler.
    AMD 2500 (Barton)
    Asus A7V600
    2x SATA Seagate 120 Gs Raid 0
    2 x 512 M Geil Golden Dragon PC3200
    Saphire 9800 Pro
    MSI CD/RW
    Sony DVD
    Chenbro Spider W/Raidmax 400 W

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Midknyte
    http://www.tomshardware.com/firstloo...104/index.html

not sure what you mean by dimples.
    The last two sentances on the last page I found humorous.

Those who aren't put off by the awful noise get good cooling performance for money.
    And then...

However, $49 is a hefty price to pay, considering its performance
    So is it good for the money or not???

He shouldn't have to lap a heatspreader - I'd return it if the heatspreader wasn't completely uniform. RMA the CPU if the heatspreader isn't flat - lapping is a dumb idea. Void your warranty because of a manufacturing defect that is easily cause for a valid RMA?