Thread: Overclocking a 1700+ T-bred A

Overclocking a 1700+ T-bred A

I know the B type is supposed to oc very well, and that the Palomino's don't seem to oc nearly as well, but does anyone know anything about the Thoroughbred A's? Whenever I search for them I get information cluttered with Thoroughbred B stories.
    So I'm not sure what I can expect from one of these. I would like to overclock to around 1600mhz until new parts arrive, but can it even get that high?

depends on your hardware. what's your current system specs?

the motherboard i believe is pcchips m817. I can't remember exactly off the top of my head, so i'll have to go home, double check later, and get back to the library tomorrow with more info.

384 mb of sdram pc100(256mb is kingston value ram, pc133)

Can't think of much else to add. Stock cooling. That's about it.

tough to say how far you could go. with stock cooling maybe you could get 1600MHz. It you only be a 130MHz increase. Besides I have never had much luck oc'ing PCChips brand mobos. had one four years ago and crapped out on me when oc'ing. all in all I don't think 130MHz more'll hurt the processor. just be careful and take it slow, even if it's only 130MHz.

Good Luck w/ that.

Oh and make sure your RAM and PSU is okay if you are doing it by FSB. Your processor multiplier may be unlocked but with PCChips being known for limited BIOSs I don't know if you can adjust it. PC100 and 133 are more power hungry than DDR and up-ing the FSB may require more voltage.

I was able to get 1600 out of a 1700 Palomino - you should be able to much better with a T-bred A.

Originally posted by bubbalou32
    I was able to get 1600 out of a 1700 Palomino - you should be able to much better with a T-bred A.
    his hardware may not let him go that high

Yeah, oh well. Just thought i'd get some experience with overclocking before I insert newer parts(which, god willing, will be in on Fri.)

it just that i had pc133 on a mobo at one time and it was hell to overclock. burnt out the only 2 sticks of ram in my mobo and i only put the fsb to 150 from 133 on a p3 @ 850MHz. i think about it and you should be able to pull about a hundred MHz out of it before you do whatever w/ it.

Ultimate Member
    The tbred A's were pretty short lived before AMD made improvements to the core and came with the tbred B. I'd say you should be able to get the chip to 2100+

Ultimate Member scottluebke2003's Avatar
    You have the Palomino core, don't get your hopes up cause most of the time when you OC a Palomino you get BSOC constantly. They just did not OC well at all. But if you want you can get a Sempron 2000+ for about $45 brand new and that thing will OC like nuts.
    ~A life without Jesus is a life that's never fixed~

I had a 1700+ A and the thing was worthless when it came to overclocking.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by scottluebke2003
    You have the Palomino core, don't get your hopes up cause most of the time when you OC a Palomino you get BSOC constantly. They just did not OC well at all. But if you want you can get a Sempron 2000+ for about $45 brand new and that thing will OC like nuts.
    How do you know its a palomino core? There are 1700+ processors useing tbred cores.