Thread: New USB hub installation problem

New USB hub installation problem

Hello - I recently got a 4 port USB hub (iConcepts - they have tech support but not until Monday). When I plug it in to my win98SE computer, I get a window about "windows is building a driver information database" or similar, and then it just hangs there - I can still do other things though, but the hourglass won't go away until I unplug it. Once before I tried a 2 port hub, and it made the computer freeze. The installation instructions say to just plug it in. Any idea what's wrong?

I am not plugging any devices into the hub yet - just plugging the hub into my computer.

By the way the USB port works just fine with one device at a time like a digital camera, card reader, or printer plugged into it.

Thanks.

Did you install the drivers that come with it? Windows 98 is at best WEAK when it comes to USB.

just need to check that it's 98 "Second Edition" you're running and not plain old 98. The original 98 doesn't really support USB natively!

Install the SE patch and maybe update your chipset\mobo drivers if you haven't already. Remember that USB drivers need to be installed "before" you introduce the hardware to the system.

If none of the above work, BipolarBill is the USB expert here! Look him up.
    Last edited by Strawbs; 02-06-2005 at 09:06 AM.

reread your post and you can forget the part about it needing SE! I see you've already said you have it.

You might want to try removing all references to USB in device manager and let windows reload the neccessary drivers.