new pc

bio star - M7NCD
    athlon XP 3200+
    512 megs of ram
    radeon 9600se

boots - fans, hd, cdroms all powered up
    but no vid, no beeps?

any ideas

If you can power up but no beeps and the pc speaker is connected then most likely the CPU is not connected right or working or the Video cable is loose or monitor not working right. bad ram or bad video card would beep if the CPU was working.

Intimate Member
    How many of the brass stand offs did you use between the motherboard and the back mounting plate?

If there were no brass stand offs shipped in the little parts baggie, did the mounting back plate have stamped and pressed out standoffs?

Is there a chance you mounted the motherboard directly to the back plate without any standoffs?

Remove the board from the case, place it on a soft, non-conductive surface near the case and plug in the ATX power. Leave in the CPU and RAM. Place the vid card in and connect the monitor. Connect the power. Nothing else needs to be connected. Press down hard on the vid card and use your screwdriver to short the POWER BUTTON pins. See if it POSTs.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I'm having this same problem with my new computer. Everything starts up fine..but I got no beeps and no video.

I'm try some of this stuff tomorrow...is it say to say if nothing works that my cpu is dead. I really hope not or I wasted $90
    Athlon XP 2400+
    Samsung 384mb DDR266 Ram
    Epox 8kha+ MB
    Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2
    Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra

Intimate Member
    Originally posted by InnovaZero
    I'm having this same problem with my new computer.
    Follow this thread to see if anything helps you deal with your problem..if it does not appear to help you, then start your own thread here and some of the guys will help you...

Originally posted by Bovon
    Follow this thread to see if anything helps you deal with your problem..if it does not appear to help you, then start your own thread here and some of the guys will help you...
    Thats cool. I can't do anything tonight, little late. Anyhoo the case I have came with dimpled mounts built in on the case, still possible to be shorting it somewhere by touching the metal or whatnot?
    Athlon XP 2400+
    Samsung 384mb DDR266 Ram
    Epox 8kha+ MB
    Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2

Also if YOUR cpu is dead you can always RMA it if it's under warranty.

BPB's suggestion should be the first step. You can't assume anything. Any new motherboard should be bench tested first. If it still won't post you need to start swaping parts. to find the problem. Before you yank the board, double check all the connectors and make sure you don't have a mechanical problem.

Well we tried taking it out and ran just the CPU and some memory. CPU fan spun up but no beeps. This is leaving me to believe the motherboard is dead, there was no beeps whats so ever. No video error, no HD error..nothing.

We tried putting the video card in, the video fan spun...but still no beeps for anything.
    Last edited by InnovaZero; 02-04-2005 at 11:57 AM.
    Athlon XP 2400+
    Samsung 384mb DDR266 Ram
    Epox 8kha+ MB
    Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2

I would return the motherboard.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Does the fan spin and stop or keep spinning?

Yeah, thats what I'm working on now. Thanks everyone for you help!
    Athlon XP 2400+
    Samsung 384mb DDR266 Ram
    Epox 8kha+ MB
    Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2

I had a very similar problem. Thank BipolarBill, for the great suggestion. I took out the motherboard and made sure everything was good, and it booted! I just need to connect more components one-by-one to see if any of those were also problematic.

~stipes

Intimate Member
    Originally posted by stipes
    I just need to connect more components one-by-one to see if any of those were also problematic.

~stipes
    The majority of the time when a newly assembled machine will not boot, then it will boot when removed from the case is because the motherboard was grounded (shorted) by one of the board mounting stand offs (if the brass type standoffs were actually used).

Many of the new, less expensive cases have stamped and raised motherboard stand-offs. Quite often, these are too wide at the board mounting area...and cause a short between the grounding screw hole and some of the close by circuit traces. In this case, some type of insulating the motherboard from those stamped and raised mounts must be done.

Small cardboard or plastic washers can be used..or, even a short piece of electrical tape over the hole in the back of the motherboard with a hole for the screw punched in it.