Thread: Can I use USB

Can I use USB

I have two usb ports (printer in one, cdrw in the other) that are straight to motorboard (ver l.l). I want to get a four port PCI Card USB 2.2 and plug in. Will I have any conflicts with running two different USB versions on one computer. Have XP Pro operating system on IBM desktop. This will give me a total of 2 usb (ver 1.1) and four usb (2.0) without having to use a hub. Thank you..............Ray

Ultimate Member
    I wouldn't think that would present a problem at all. However, I am sure Bill will jump in here and confirm that.

Ultimate Member
    You should be fine. I've got a Windows 2000 Server box on an older motherboard that only has USB1.1, since i'm also using it as my file server (which stays fairly busy) with an external USB2/1.1 hard drive, I installed a USB2.0 card and hooked the drive up to the card. No problems to speak of.

Well, first there is no USB "2.2" - it's v2.0.

Secondly, it won't be a problem - as RamonGTP has said. One thing - be sure to NOT buy a VIA or ALi USB card. They are unreliable. Look for any NEC-based card. Belkin sells NEC cards at Walmart.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I am using the Belkin card Bill references. It has been running great for about 8 months now.

MS MCP, MCSE

You'll need Service Pack 1 or 2 for the USB ports to work at their full speed (rather than USB 1 speeds).
    I use a belkin too. Had nothing but problems with a ALi based card but a Via one worked fine.