Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 6800 pausing

6800 pausing

Any of you guys with Nvidia 6800 (standard, GT or Ultras) cards have problems with stuttering or 5-10 secdond pausing during gameplay. I have had a few isssues where it looks like the computer has wiped out (frozen) and then about 5 seconds later it comes back running as normal and doesn’t do it again. Also had this problem when benchmarking with 3dmark2005. I’m wondering if it is a driver thing...but looks like threre can be many things that cause this.

I'm using

BFG 6800 Ultra (with 71.20 drivers at present)
    MSI K8N Neo2 Plat (NForce 3)
    AMD 64 3500 OC'd
    550W Levicom

My GPU temps seem to be OK…running at 50-53 idle…and case is sufficiently cooled. I have OC'd to 450, 1.17.

I had a very similar problem with my old TI 4600 video card, and the problem was actually the reason for my first post on SysOpt:

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...hreadid=139294

I never pinpointed the problem, but I eventually swapped out the card and put it in my friends' HP. When he was playing NFSU, his computer locked up in a very similar manner, which made me believe that something was wrong with the card itself, and not a driver problem. Do you have any other computers you can put the card in to test with?

Na.. the card seems to be working fine...it just does this thing once. A few posts here from people with the same...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...9&page=1&pp=15

just wondering if anyone else here had that...cos I get it a bit.

does it happen at stock speeds? Your idle temps seem fine, but your load temps might be high with the overclock.

Originally posted by MJCfromCT
    I had a very similar problem with my old TI 4600 video card, and the problem was actually the reason for my first post on SysOpt:

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...hreadid=139294

I never pinpointed the problem, but I eventually swapped out the card and put it in my friends' HP. When he was playing NFSU, his computer locked up in a very similar manner, which made me believe that something was wrong with the card itself, and not a driver problem. Do you have any other computers you can put the card in to test with?
    i remember your last post.. now you have 3000+ post.

yah midknyte is right maybe its the temp during load thats causing you the problem.

its not a temperature problem during load....it happens at the start of a gaming session...maybe once or twice...and then never again.

43 pages long thread at nvnews and one word at the end : nForce3 chipset
    Is it really? Any chance to try everything on just another mobo?
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers

Do you notice your CD rom drive light on when this happens?

Any chance to try everything on just another mobo?
    Not really...without buying one that is. The problem seems to just happen when I overclock the GPU speed past the default 425Mhz of the BFG ultra OC.
    However the MSI board...I dont like anyway with all the grief it has given me...If i could change kindoff cheap..it may be worth a swap. Whats the other options of good 939 boards..not NF3?

Do you notice your CD rom drive light on when this happens?
    never checked.....but will do next time it happens

It's definitely the GPU mate, i can't get my 6800 over 400 without stutter and had '03 freeze once or twice. Put it down to 390 and it does everything fine.

DFI and MSI are the best 939's at this point in time, with small amounts of resistance vouching for the Gigabyte and Asus models.

It's definitely the GPU mate, i can't get my 6800 over 400 without stutter and had '03 freeze once or twice. Put it down to 390 and it does everything fine.
    I can overclock the memory no problem…but for some reason it don’t like me rtaking the core speed up. However…it’s a BFG OC card…and it works fine with a core speed of 425….so I guess its overclocked already. I would probably run it around 450-460 anyway OC’d…so I aint loosing that much. Looking about…this problem doesn’t seem to happen on a p4 system…weird. Even running my card at say 450…it locks up once at the start of a gaming session for 4-5 seconds…and then continues to operate normally for the next 5 hours….weird.
    I got a funny feeling that beefing up the voltage supplied to the GPU through a BIOS mod would fix this problem. For me its like the GPU isn’t getting enough power to run at the higher speeds.

Yeah, more than likely. I'm going to flash my BIOS soon this week too, up the voltage a bit. Also gonna stick some as5 on, but i'm sure you've already done that.

I have put AS on it allready...but its not a heat issue I have....it idles at 50...and goes up to about 75 full load. Let me know how you go upping the voltage in the VGA BIOS.

Cheers

Try monitoring with RivaTuner, idle and under load of coz, check the log ... not familiar with the card, yours too has separate 2D and 3D core speeds? Maybe it just not changing fast enough between them ...
    Last thought - try the card in another computer and your computer with another PSU, if you can, something powerful enough with a strong +12v rail
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers