Thread: grapics card and video editing specs

grapics card and video editing specs

I need to update my video card and need a card that will be used most extensively for video editing and the ocassional game or two.

What should I be looking for?

Are the cards that do well for gaming suited for video editing?

Will be put into this system:

Abit nf7-s
    athlon 2500 (3200)
    1 gb crucial ram
    antec case with decent cooling
    200 gb sata hdd
    Nec dvd burner

Don't want to break the bank unless I have to. Just not sure what price point to start looking at etc.

thanks

any of the ATI All in Wonder series will suit you perfectly
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Do you want a video/capture/tuner all in one card? Or are you looking for just a video card? The ATI AIWs are decent cards for the price, such as the 9600 or above. For more heavy duty type video work, go with a separate video tuner/capture setup with hardware decoder, such as at least a 9600xt and something from Hauppaug or Adaptec, as any AIW type card will bog down when processing.
    My AMD system has the Adaptec VideoH DVD Multimedia card with 9800 Pro. Works good for gaming and good for processing video. That combo will put you back about 300$ or so today.
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

You probably want to look at separate cards. The PNY personal cinema cards really suck. AIW are pretty decent, but I think you'll get better performance with separate solutions.

The Pinnacle capture cards are good, but make sure to check for updated drivers. Some of the cards shipped with drivers that don't work in SP2.

I was planning on getting separate cards, as you mentioned mobo57.

Any specifics on the video card besides 9600 or above? I have heard that the 9600gt has it's own video engine. Not sure about it or exactly what it means.

I suppose it would be like the capture card being hardware decoded vs. software?

I am willing to spend the $300 bones for 2 cards. Which video specifically? Any links?

Here is a 9600xt AIW card for ya to look at .
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...02-352&depa=1\

Here is a 9800 pro AIW also for ya to check out.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-297&depa=1

First thing is, what kind of video work are you going to be doing? Converting VCR tapes, capturing tv, creating dvd videos, camcorder capture? That can determine what sort of capture card you will need. Bottom line is to get the best you can afford. The Hauppaug 250-350 series are very good as is the VideoH I have. You won't be sorry with any. I love the VideoH, great quality captures, hardware en/decoding etc, lousy software package though.
    Don't bother with any Pinnacle hardware. It is a real shot in the dark with their products. They use software codecs, not hardware, consequently the captures are less then stellar, though the Pinnacle Studio 9 is one of the best editing programs I have ever used, easy to get going and very flexible. I upgraded to the VideoH from a Pinnacle PCTV Pro PCI card. Like going from the junior leagues to the pros in the difference. Right now there is not a Pinnacle hardware product I'd buy.
    As to the AIW series, they are good for the casual video capture/edting work, but get their rear ends smacked by the above capture cards.
    As to video cards, they have very little to do with editing except for professional video editing. All decent cards with a tv out will do just fine. I know there are some here that would disagree with me, but unless you are a serious gamer, the 9800 pro- xt or one of the equivalent X series cards should suit you just fine.
    One thing I found is once you get going in video editing, you will really appreciate good hardware. Not only will it make for good quality productions, but it will also save a lot of time. Example, a 1 hour capture with the PCTV would take up to 2.5 hours to render and burn to dvd (this is above a beyond the time for capturing the video). The Videoh does it in less than 40 minutes. The pinnacle results are grainy and full of noise. The VideoH looks like it was a professionally produced dvd.
    Finally, by getting separate cards, you'll be able to upgrade easily. While you have a good midrange system, for video editing you will want to go with at least a 3.0g, 800 fsb Intel system. I have 2 systems used for video editing, a AMD 3200 XP and a 3.2ee Intel. Both have almost identical hardware/software. The Intel system will finish the same project 25 to 30% faster on the average over the AMD system. This is one area where Intel does beat AMD.
    Here is a site that you can snoop around and get some more info.
    http://www.videohelp.com/
    In summary, IMO:
    9600xt or 9800 pro 128 meg ~ 180$
    Adaptec Videoh DVD Multimedia PCI ~ 130$

thanks for your input mobo57! I dicussed the video capture card with you in another post about a month ago or so, and I certainly am sold on the videoH or Haugpauuge 250 or 350, Just have not grabbed it yet.

I am looking to make basic home movies, capture tv on dvd's but not too much more. A few games here and there.

I will be looking for the video card soon.

A couple more ?'s...

any functional difference in the 128 mb card vs. the 256?

will the video capture card allow me to pull straight from my dv recorder or will I need to go to the hdd first?

Q1: Not much. Here is a review of the 128 meg vs the 256 version:
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...604/index.html

Q2: Do you mean to view the vid on the dv on you monitor? Yes, but most dv cameras use IEEE port for connecting to your computer. You can connect directly to the capture port on the capture card but I think you may loose some of the functionality of the dv camera. If you mean to edit, then you will still need to download to your hd.

My connections are: cable tv and vcr through composit connection on capture card, dv cam through IEEE, digital camera USB. Both systems have 27" tv's and 19" comp moniters.

I was not clear on that for sure.

I was thinking of converting the .avi files from the camera to mpeg2 thorugh the capture card when transferring onto my hdd. Is that even possible or do I need to dump to the hdd via the firewire then convert?

does the capture card only convert the tv signal?

any difference in the 9600xt manufacturers? Ie.: ati, sapphire, elsa, gigabyte etc??

I am looking at about $140 to $160, just wanted to make sure they are pretty much the same.

Most cards can convert as you capture from the dv cam. You are given a choice on what format to save as. For instance, I just moved 1 1/2 hours of a deposition to my system recorded on a Canon Optura 30 DV. For grins and giggles I used the software control settings and saved in .avi format and then ran it again in mpeg2 format. Both took the same time to load to the system, the time it takes to play the video. But they take up significantly different amount of hd space. The .avi takes about 19 gig, whereas the mpeg2 takes about 3 gig of space. The capture card converted the vid on the "fly". As you have to convert the vid to fit on a dvd anyway, I always import in mpeg format, saves space and I notice no quality degredation at all. When I burned both vids, the .avi file took a little longer to render than the mpeg2.

As tv conversion, that is done automatically for any signal coming through the card, whether the composite, S-video or the tuner.

Regarding the manufacturers of the cards, each has their own special "thing" they do to each card, whether hardware or software bundle. I went ATI retail. That way I have their warranty, which due to my mucking about I had to use once. ATI has a very good customer support service and RMA policy with fast turn around. I also do not need the "extras" such as some overclocking and the games that come with the other manu's cards.
    Last edited by mobo57; 02-20-2005 at 12:15 PM.