Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help with modem driver transfere

Help with modem driver transfere

I have two computers with similar modems on each one. The driver of one of them was corrupted. I couldnt find the driver CD nor I could get it from the internet. I copied all the driver files from one computer and placed them in the same directories on the other. This didnt work. Is there a place where I need to make some modification like the win.ini file or a similar one so that the transferred driver files become fully functional??

It'd be easier just to go looking for a new driver rather than trying to manually copy files around. What make/model is the modem? If you don't know, download ->Everest Home Edition<- and use it to find out. I'm sure someone will be able to hunt the right driver down for you

I dont seem to have much choice right now. Your link is broken by the way. Have you tried it recently?

So what is this supposed to do? Give me the brand and model no of the modem? My modem is generic. By the way it is not recognized by XP. I will try that anyway. Thanks

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Buy a new modem for $20 and forget the hassles.

You are fighting a losing battle.

LOL, dude, you can always identify the modem one way or another, yank it out and look for identifying marks, then google them.

Drivers for nearly every device are available on driverguide.com.

I am aware of all other options but I thought there is someone here who is an expert on such technical matters.....

there could be lots of reasons why its not working, the files may be brokin,,files in the registery may not be copying over correctly etc etc, its alot easyier if you just get the identifying marks from the modem. you said the modems are similar if they are not exactly the same or same make or model them drivers will not work. alot easyier to just pull it out and look at the markings.

what process did you use to copy the driver files from the other computer?

Do I understand that copying the files to their respective locations is all I need to do? I copied them into a floppy and put each one in its directory as it was in the original computer.

Intimate Member
    The drivers for a "similar" modem may or may not always work..but, if you do not get the .INF file that comes with the install, you will never get it to work..with any new drivers, which are usually provided by Windows anyway.

I have no clue where the INF folder is located in Winxp, in Win98 its at C:\Windows\INF\Other.

In Win2k it is located at C:\Winnt\INF.

This is considering that your OS is on the C:\ drive

Find that INF file that goes with the modem. place a copy of it on a floppy disk and go thru the install procedure..when it asks for the 'drivers' etc., point the wizard to the A: drive.

If it will work, Windows will know and accept it. If Windows says the 'driver' was not specifically written for that device but do you want to unstall it anyway.. I usually click yes...most times, that is the only option I have.

Give that a shot...may work.

I got the files of the driver by looking in Device manager (Win XP) That is where all the files are liste. They are in \system32 and system32\drivers directories. There is no way for me to know where the INF file or the problem would have been solved already. None of those files is .inf file.

no pun intended but if you had pulled the modem like we said and gave us the details you would have had a driver along time ago, what ur going through is in my book is just to much playing around when there is an easyier way.

Yes, as I said I have my other options but I am trying to exauste this one. Eventually I will have to do just that.

Intimate Member
    The .INF file is a text file...opens with Notepad...it tells Windows HOW TO RUN THE MODEM.

I really doesn't make any difference to me..its not my machine that ain't working..but, I'm here to tell you if the PROPER .INF file for your modem (or one that is compatible) is not found during the modem setup, the chances it will ever work properly is almost nil.

You find the file by opening Windows Explorer, surf/browse to the Windows/Winnt etc. folder, click the + sign to the right...opening up the sub folders...then look for the INF folder. Look inside the INF folder for an .INF file that is for your modem..copy to a floppy disk.