Thread: Broken Heatsink Retention Clip

Broken Heatsink Retention Clip

I got a mother board that i was working on had a really tight Heatsink clip eventuall I broke the plastic. Does anyone know where I can purchase the Plastic Retention clips to attach to the moterboard. It is for a Pentium 4 motherboard socket 478. Any info would be appreciated.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't

Ultimate Member
    Does the motherboard have the 4 holes? I have in past done 2 repairs of this- one was supergluing (bion, it worked) the corner back on. 2nd fix involved inserting nylon screws from backside, running a nut down to mobo to retain (meakes them like studs) and then slipping bolt on hs onto new studs and securing with more nuts. JUST BE SURE to not overtighten screws (or leave too loose) and that all four fasteners equally tensioned for proper alignment.

It worked for me...I also recall on a really old dinosaur gluing the hs to the cpu. Obviously can't remove, but old ss7, still works.

I don't know if those plastic pieces readily removable/replaceable, but mught suggest contating some mom n pop stores and digging thru burnt mobo pile.

Yes it has four holes but disregard my first message now. I did a serch on pricewatch for retention and I found it for $1 so I got one on the way. Thanks for the reply
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't