Thread: noisey motherboard

noisey motherboard

I have had a Abit NF7_S motherboard for over a year now and the chipset fan started making so much noise its unbearable.
    Would unplugging the fan cause a overheatung problem with the chipset? If so whats' another alternative.

Unplugging might cause overheat issues - if your case is generally "warm" at most times.

Look >here under "System Cooler>Chipset" for an idea of what you can do.

Thanks for the info Strawbs. I have a large aluminum case, the CoolerMaster TAC_T01. I think i"ll find a fanless heatsink somewhere.

If you have like me a side panel with a good airflow mainly directed towards to heatsink then you should be ok but remember they put that fan on there for a reason!!!!
    An alternative is replacing that whiny little fan with an alternative.

T

My Abit chipset fan went south in about six months....I replaced it (simple job) and the replacement seems to be O.K. With the fan off, I got an overheat alarm from the MB sensor.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Originally posted by Billforce
    My Abit chipset fan went south in about six months....I replaced it (simple job) and the replacement seems to be O.K. With the fan off, I got an overheat alarm from the MB sensor.
    Imagine that, LOL, I have 3 Abit boards that the stupid fan went south on, within a few months. I replaced them all and disabled the alarm for them, as the new fans didn't have the sensor wire. They used a really CHEAPO fan there. I didn't want to down my machines because of sending in a Mobo for replacement, I figured 9 bucks for a good fan was faster and cheaper in the long run. However, now I'm leary of Abit because of this, although the boards themselves work great.

DIY on the mofo
    Or just unplug it, shouldn't overheat on stock FSB speeds ...
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers