Thread: Will a Socket A Sampron run on an Athlon Board??

Will a Socket A Sampron run on an Athlon Board??

Since they are more or less the same chip, would a Sampron CPU run on a board designed for an Athlon XP up to 3200+? I think I fried my CPU and my local FRY's doesn't carry Athlon chips anymore so that I can test the mobo to see if it is still OK or if I need a new mobo as well.

look on the manufacturer's website, since it might require a bios update.

I already checked and the MFR web site does not list Sampron as a supported CPU--that's why I'm wondering if it'll work anyway (maybe it'll just identify it as something else?)

It SHOULD post, but it would recognize it as an Athlon XP or MP. See what Fry's return policy is on cpus.

Even if it posts, do a bios update.

I had a PCCHIPS board that didnt say it suported Seprons but after a BIOS flash it works fine. You should be okay after a BIOS flash.

What motherboard do you have? Maybe someone here will be familiar with it.

I'd avoid the Sempron. You can still buy Athlon XPs online - NewEgg, for instance. The mobile XPs are great if you have an nForce2 chipset or other flexible chipset.
    A7N8X-2 Deluxe, XP-M 2400+ @218x11, 1GB KVR PC3200, ATI AIW 8500DV, Antec full tower case/Antec 400W
    A7N8X-E Deluxe, XP-M 2200+ @218x11, 1GB KVR PC3200, ATI 9550, Antec full tower case/Antec 400W
    A7N8X-E Deluxe, XP-M 2600+ @218x11, 1GB KVR PC3200, ATI AIW 9600XT, Antec mid tower case/Antec 400W
    A7N8X-E Deluxe, XP-M 2600+ @218x11, 1GB KVR PC3200, ATI 9550, Lian Li Mid tower case/Antec 400W

Since AXP 3200+ is supported Sempron will work too. After all, it's a Thoroughbred B core ...
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers

Hey thanks for the replies folks. Didn't realize this thread was still alive. I wanted to try the Sempron just to test the Mobo. Then I bought a mobile XP chip from Newegg, and THEN I found out that my original Barton wasn't fried like I thought, so both the Sempron and the Mobile XP went back.