Thread: New SATA HD installed.. windows doesn't show it? Do I need to format?

Hybrid View

New SATA HD installed.. windows doesn't show it? Do I need to format?

My seconday drive just took a nose dive last night so I purchased a 200gig WD SATA drive today to replace it.

My primary drive is a 74gig Raptor with XP Pro.

Everything is connected, and the new drive shows up under device manager. But there is no letter for the drive under My Computer. Do I need to format it first?

Thanks for any help

Yes, you need to partition and format the drive. Do you know if you motherboard and chipset will support a drive that large? If it does not you need to use the manufacturers utilities to get it set up right. If you are not sure, post your MB model.

Originally posted by ukulele
    Yes, you need to partition and format the drive. Do you know if you motherboard and chipset will support a drive that large? If it does not you need to use the manufacturers utilities to get it set up right. If you are not sure, post your MB model.
    Its an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe

Ultimate Member
    just right click on "my computer" and click on "manage" then click on "Disk Management"

You should see the drive there, initilize the disk, create a partition, or several if you wish, then format.

Originally posted by RamonGTP
    just right click on "my computer" and click on "manage" then click on "Disk Management"

You should see the drive there, initilize the disk, create a partition, or several if you wish, then format.
    Its doin it now. Thanks a lot

Ultimate Member
    np... I should have also mentioned to check the "quick format" option. Would have been done in a few seconds.

Originally posted by RamonGTP
    np... I should have also mentioned to check the "quick format" option. Would have been done in a few seconds.
    Quick format would only work on a drive that is already formatted the normal way. Essentially all it does is erase all the files on the drive.

Ultimate Member
    Quick format would only work on a drive that is already formatted the normal way. Essentially all it does is erase all the files on the drive.
    Actually, I have used quick format before on brand new unpartitioned drives, All you have to do is create a partition, then quick format it.

Ultimate Member
    Yep, every new drive i've tried quick formatting in recient memory has worked fine.

That's interesting . I learn something new every day. There is a major difference though. Have a read here...
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=h...p%3Bln%3Den-gb
    Last edited by ukulele; 01-26-2005 at 01:22 PM.

Ultimate Member
    That's interesting . I learn something new every day. Thanks.
    I just realized what you were thinking of. Back in Widows 98 days, you couldn't quick format a drive before the install, unless the drive had been used before. Same with Windows 2000 I think.

Originally posted by r8500
    I just realized what you were thinking of. Back in Widows 98 days, you couldn't quick format a drive before the install, unless the drive had been used before. Same with Windows 2000 I think.
    Man you post fast. Have a read here...http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=h...p%3Bln%3Den-gb

Ultimate Member
    So it works for XP, just it isn't recommended for the initial install. Good find.

Good find indeed, boys...

Thanks a bunch for the links.

I hate waiting for that regular format...

Hey guys, I just wanted to say thanks for the advice here. I had the same problem.
    It was driving me nuts!
    I figured I probably had to partition and format the drive but couldn't for the life of me remember how to. A quick search through this forum and I got my answer.
    Thanks again!