Thread: I'm about to go crazy

I'm about to go crazy

I'm about to rip this card out of the system and throw it in the trash . I got this card not too long ago so hopefully someone can be of some assistance. First off my system specs are as follows:

Pentium 4 3.0Ghz w/ HT
    Abit AG8 Motherboard
    1GB Corsair PC3200
    80GB Maxtor SATA
    200GB Maxtor IDE
    Antec True 430W Power Supply
    MSI Geforce 6600GT 128mb PCI-E

First off, my monitors refresh rate is set to 60hz. The problem I am having is with very weird color distortions and what looks to be pixel distortions, I'm not really sure. This occurs after a little while of playing, not right off the start. My temperature after playing Doom3 for about 15 minutes is now 57 degrees, but it goes down while idling. So I went to the nvidia site and got the latest drivers(66.93) to see if that would fix my problem, but it did not. So after reading some posts on here and other forums, I saw that the 67.03 drivers were recommended and I gave those a try. From the little time I did play Doom3, it did cancel the pixel problem, but I got weird colors now. If anyone can help me, I would be so grateful.

With 66.93 drivers
    http://home.insightbb.com/~silent_shadow03/bad.jpg
    http://home.insightbb.com/~silent_shadow03/bad2.jpg

With 67.03 drivers
    http://home.insightbb.com/~silent_shadow03/bad3.jpg

EDIT: I figured I'd give some other drivers a shot, so I went back to the drivers that the card came with, the 66.72 drivers, installed those and fired up Doom3 once again. Kept on playing until the pixels went bad yet again. I immediately closed my game and went to see what the temperature reading was. The temperature said 70 degrees celsius as the temp. when the pixels went bad. As of now, a few minutes out of the game, the idle GPU temp. is 52C and the ambient is 46C. Do you guys think this sounds like an overheating problem or something different? I'm getting desperate.

may not be the card...

most P4's run pretty hot- how's the airflow
    in your case? tried taking off the side and hitting it with a table fan to see if that
    makes a diff? if it does, it may just be
    your case getting overheated, not an issue with your new vid card.

Ultimate Member
    Sounds to me like an overheating video card

on a side note my cpu idle is 42C and system(case) is reading 36C by my ABIT EQ program, my hardcano 12 controller reads 23.7C for my case, so i'm at a loss of what to do...

Get a house fan.

Open your case up.

Blow aformentioned fan into your case as you play.

See if the problem continues.

I had that problem with my 9800 pro set to medium 10x7. I added 3 case fans and the problem subsided.
    Just A Curb Side Profit

moved the case out of the cubby hole, added a sunon 120mm exhaust fan that is rated at 108cfm, loud but unreal amounts of air is exhausted. same thing happens, after 15 minutes i get the bad graphics, went to check temp, it was 64C. so i had enough and called MSI and they said that is was probably a defective card to request RMA, so i did just that. hopefully i will get a new card and all will be well. we shall see.

sux you have to RMA a card you just got
    but hoping that'll be the answer.

good luck!

That is too bad..really. Your problem would upset me also.....and off hand i cannot say it is the overheating problem.
    ( BUT... the VC fan might be suspect or not working properly )

Its quite posssible you got a bad card. Stuff happens...

Too bad,because that card got rave reviews.... and MSI is usually a very good company with very good products.

I use the 66.93 drivers with no apparent problems and overheating at all.. In fact, with the new drivers...my card ( FX5900 ) has gotten better with the graphics and might have helped with the speed issue also...

Recheck your VC connections and the PS connector for it ( if they have one ).

Another long shot test is let a friend who has a PCI board try it and see if the same thing happens....
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS