Thread: Fedora Core 3 File Sharing

Fedora Core 3 File Sharing

I recently loaded Linux FC3 on a PC. I want to learn how to move files between to Linux PC's in my house. I am trying to use the feature Remote Desktop Connection to do that. I haven't figured out how to specify 'computer name' or 'path' to get to my other PC. I wanted to check and make sure I was on the right track. Anyone else doing this?

To do computer name you go to "Control Panel" then System, and click the Computer Name tab.

Do the "To rename this computer or join a domain". Make sure the domains on both PC's are the same like MSHOME or whatever.

At least I think I'm answering your question... I hope. LOL!

I'm still using floppies to move stuff from one Linux box to another. Thanks RockNRoll, but that sounds like Windows terms, "Control Panel", and "System" and all those nice things don't show up on my Linux boxes.

Maybe Linux hasn't developed this stuff for sharing between two hard drives.

You are correct that The Computer Name and Workgroup reffered to above are Windows.

I currently use FTP to move files between linux boxes. Each of my systems has an FTP server. I forget which one. I simply FTP to the IP address and logon to access files in the shared FTP directory.

You may need to configue NFS and/or a Yellow Pages server to use native filesharing among the systems and then learn how to mount the remote file systems. I have never done it this way.

I have configured Samba to share volumes on each Linux server and used the Samba browser in KDE to access the remote systems. Samba was a better option for me because I still have multiple Windows systems.
    -- Mathias