Thread: Access Weirdness

Access Weirdness

Our entire company uses Access 97 for almost everything, so as the helpdesk/ Hardware tech I have to use several of the databases to keep track of everything. About a month ago I noticed whenever I got an error message the text was in French. Not a big deal but I really don't have time to get these messages translated every time. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times I have deleted the Office folders and reinstalled I have used Regcleaner to delete every office and related entry from the registry but every time I Install Office 97 Professional I get French for the error messages. The really weird part is that Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook errors are in English. I am trying to avoid formatting and reinstalling everything if possible. I run Spybot, Adware and I tried Microsoft's anti-spyware as well. I run the Corp version of Norton for virus protection. This is only on my machine Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and SP2 for Office 97. Anyone heard of anything close to this or any Ideas?

Thanks for the Read
    Will

Banned
    GO to "regional and language options" in the control panel and changer it to the language you want

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Check your background processes for anything unusual then update the spyware and antivirus and startup in safe mode to run them, run at least a couple of times see if you find anything else, make sure your language settings in control panel are set rite.

Thanks for the response. The regional and language options are set correctly and ran virus scan in safe mode and Spy bot and Ad-aware 2 times also in safe mode. No virii and just a few minor spy ware after removal and rerun of detectors no change still got French error messages. I also don't see anything odd or unusual running in the background. Thanks for the ideas, got any more? or anyone else?

Might check for a plug-in that may have been used in access or programs, might have got in by accident.

I will do that on Monday right now time to head for home. No more worries about French Errors for 48+ hours

Later
    Will

Rangeral,
    I wouldn't have a clue what program or plug-in could be causing this, it has probably been like this for at least a month. I finally got caught up on all my other projects and decided to spend a little time trying to resolve this. I have probably installed and uninstalled 200 programs in the past month. So I guess I am either going to teach myself French or format and reinstall everything. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Thanks Again
    Will

Hi Willyb21,
    You alluded to "several" databases that you keep up on. Is it possible one of your end users has or has changed a Db to French?
    This sounds like an import error or dynamically hooked Db error to me. I'd start with a check of your end users first... never underestimate the power of "pilot" error.

SJG437 makes a good point there.

I don't see how the users could change a setting that only effects my machine. Every other machine (40+) runs access without any French errors. Although several months ago our analytical lab manager somehow changed his default dictionary in Word to French, I reset it and he had no problems after that. I don't believe that is the problem with my machine as Word, excel, and the Rest of Office are giving their error message in english. Don't mean to keep shooting down ideas,but as I said I have been beating my head on this one for at least a month. I am double checking every suggestion just in case.

Thanks
    Will