Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Win XP pro random reboots.....

Win XP pro random reboots.....

( I believe I stuck this in the wrong forum....So here is my second attempt..Sorry...)

Here is a tricky one.... I have researched through past threads and tried I believe almost everything suggested.... Here is what I have.......

VIA P4X -266(VIA P4X266-PE11-S) moboard with a P4 1.8 CPU, 1024g DDR (2X256 KVR333 and 1X512 KVR SIMMS)

Radeon 9000 (GV-R9000 with the updated drivers for XP)

16X8 DVDR-W DUEL (latest drivers)

ATAPI CD-RW 52X24 (latest drivers)

Maxtor 6L060J3 HDD

PW Supp. - Raid Max Tech. 500W....(new)

Win XP PRo (Fully Licensed to me, SP-1 installed)

Here is what I have done so far... Run memtest86(latest version) fully twice (no errors)). "Unchecked" the startup and recovery options to "automatically restart" and "none" in the dump file as to get some kind of B.S.o.D.

But I still get nothing but a reboot. Checked the "Event Manager" nothing there either.

There does not seam to be a pattern at all...I could be listening to music or working in a .doc file.... it just happens........

Any help or suggestions would be helpful......

flailing Otter in FLA.

Shut down and restart, but use (del) to get into your bios. See if there is a pc health heading so you can check temps. This could be an overheating issue. If your bios does not show temps, download motherboard monitor and install. That will allow you to check temps while in a windows environment. Plating mp3's and word processing aren't very intensive apps, so It may indicate that your hsf fan is dirty or not running like it should. Clean it out with caned air and see if anything changes. I would have suggested testing ram, but I see that you've done that already.

Your psu is new. Did you replace it in an effort to corect this problem or is it unrelated. Even if it's new, it could be faulty. Also check for tight conections. I had a freeze/reboot issue once and finally tracked the problem down to an atx power conector on the motherboard that had not "snapped" into place.

I had a really tricky one I was working on the other day sort of like yours it would run fine but randomly crash. Goto Start up and Recovery make sure you your saving memory dumps to a file.
    then do a search on how to use dumpchk to ananlyze any errors.
    I kept getting Stop:0x0000008E & 50 errors. I thought it was flaky memory, then I thought it was flaky BIOS so I changed motherboard thought I had it fixed as it would run Prime95 24 hours without crashing but then you could open a Word Document and then it crashed. I finnaly swapped the CPU and that fixxed everything. A good Freeware program I used was called Heavy Load by Jamsoftware it is designed to stress test servers. It would crash the computer in 6 seconds until I fixxed it.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't

OK... checked the temps they are all with in specs: system temp 86F and CPU temp 68F.

CPU V 1.66v
    +3.3v - 3.20v
    +5v - 5.02v
    +12v - 11.49v
    -12v - -11-04v
    -5v - -4.89v

I had replaced the PW because I thought that was my culprit before...but I was wrong.... have rechecked all the cannon plugs from the PW to the mobo and all the perif's.... case has been completly cleaned with can air... fan blades still very clean..

I have slelected a mini dump option for system errors... but even then I do not get the B.S.o.D. or a file after searching for it.....

Any more suggestions???

Bet your power supply is cranky or weak. It looks to be on the low side of things as is.

Use the link below to get an estimate of the power you need.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

OK... checked that link ... pushing it... it states I would need a 320w PW.....I have a 500w...

I have ran 2 burn in tests, both passed and also a preformance test and that passed ( both from PassMark pc testing sw) .... I am now running the HeavyLoad sw test that was suggested....

It's strange.... all the test come out fine but when I go to do some work that is when it spits the dummy.....

I will continue to bang away at it though.....

Banned
    If you power supply is cranky, clean it out with some "can air" that might make it happy

Originally posted by FL_otter
    OK... checked that link ... pushing it... it states I would need a 320w PW.....I have a 500w...

I have ran 2 burn in tests, both passed and also a preformance test and that passed ( both from PassMark pc testing sw) .... I am now running the HeavyLoad sw test that was suggested....

It's strange.... all the test come out fine but when I go to do some work that is when it spits the dummy.....

I will continue to bang away at it though.....
    Since you have a 500w PSU, you would think your +12v & 3.3v rails would have a little more juice than they show in your post! If that is in the BIOS screen, you're not really using any more power than idle! imagine when components start drawing power from an already underpowered source.

I still think your power supply is the cause of your reboots!

what make & how old is it?

I have installed Winbond Hardware Doctor v2.70 which came with mobo.... I some times get indications that my -12v is out of limits... ( but my readings say that the - v's are not that important).

My PW is a "PW Supp. - Raid Max Tech. 500W....(new) " about 6 months old... I have a laptop so I did not really work on this issue when it continued to happen after I replaced the old PW.

Originally posted by FL_otter

+3.3v - 3.20v
    +5v - 5.02v
    +12v - 11.49v
    two of these three are reading lower than they should be! If the readings are accurate - they are low enough to cause random reboots.

ok...I guess I will try that again ....Another PW.... I will return with my results......I hope good ones...

a true 500w power supply would probably give you readings above the 3.3 & 12v readings, but not so much as to cause burnout.

if you have a lot of Auxiliary equipment, i.e: fans, lights, card reader, etc. you might try unplugging some for a while to see if it increases your voltages a little and reduces the reboots.

Did you try running your system on 1 stick of ram at a time. Even though you did 2 passes of mem86, this doesn't guarantee that all ram modules are good. I would pull all sticks out and reseat them in different slots.

OK...Tried that this morning.... still the same random reboots..... tried 1 stick,2 sticks,3 sticks... different slots... same results.... also tried unplugging aux equip..... the V's still stayed the same... So now I am waiting for my new PW arrive.....

FYI. Inadequate and Deceptive Product Labeling
    http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/