Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where To Begin Learning About PCs?

Where To Begin Learning About PCs?

If a 40-ish year old fellow wanted to begin in earnest to learn everything (or just a lot) about computers (how they work, how to fix them when they misbehave, how to build them himself, etc.) and he was starting at "zero" how/where would he start? How did all of 'you' learn what you have learned? Where did 'you' start? I have been using computers without really knowing how they work and have been the worse off for it in my opinion.

Thanks

Welcome to SysOpt

I learned by taking my first computer completely apart and trying to put it back together (and have it work )

Here are some great guides for building your own PC and troubleshooting PC problems:

http://www.pcmech.com/build.htm

http://www.fonerbooks.com/pcrepair.htm

http://www.pcguide.com/intro/over.htm

http://www.build-your-own-computers....-overview.html

http://www.build-your-own-computer-tips.com/
    Last edited by MJCfromCT; 01-03-2005 at 07:23 PM.

I've used computers off and on since 1985 when I started on them in grade school. Everything I've ever learned about PC repairs, etc has been self taught. I don't know what kind of background knowledge you have, but a fundamental understing of what part is what and what exactly it does is very important. You may want to see if any friends or family have old PCs they'd be willing to let you tinker with. Try and get ones you know work. Upgrade them. Tear them apart. Learn how to identify the hardware by looking at it without having to spend a day and a half online looking it up. Set aside an area of your home or garage devoted completely to working on computers. You're going to want to jump right in. Start with the cheap stuff first. If you trash a 500mhz processor you won't feel bad wasting $5.00 compared to wasting $100.00 trashing a 2500+. Before you spend any money on anything research it first. Don't take anybody's word for it. If someone says not to do something...do it. Find out why. Get your hands dirty. Break things to find out how they work if you have to. Replacement parts for old computers are a dime a dozen. Don't worry about making mistakes. And above all else, HAVE FUN. The second it gets annoying or makes you mad take a break or call it a day. Thats about all I can think of.

Buy some parts and put one together. They're not that hard. You'll learn with quickness. Really! If you can put one together, you can fix it!
    TheGreatRaymond@sbcglobal.net
    Please indicate you are from SysOpt in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam

WELCOME to Sysopt

This book is wonderful for learning how they work and the history of PC's, I have an older edition that I used in a class I took a few years ago, but you can get alot just by reading it. Link

Of course, you don't have to buy it here, or even new, but this is just to show you what it is.

Hey, hang out here with the rest of the geeks, you'll learn, believe me. Got a friend who works on them? Hang out there some as well. I've done all that and more to learn as much as I can. Happy learning
    Last edited by leprechaun_40; 01-03-2005 at 10:30 PM.

I learned by trial and error...

I taught myself at a young age. I got my first computer at the age of about 6 i think.

Basically, I learned howto first USE the computer before doing all the advanced stuff..
    Learned to walk before you ran sorta thing.

Also, you should read around in the forums (partly the technical support thread) that will give you some knowledge of fixing them and what not.

I started out with an old PC and the public library. And then once the internet took off, it turned out to be the best source of information.

But Mr. Fist is right, the best way is to get your hands and eyes into it.

i also learned the limited amount i know by hands on...but i feel you should try to learn all aspects ...most just learn one part..hardware or something elese...i am trying to learn all that i can in all areas

Ultimate Member
    I've pretty well done the hands on deal too. Started collecting old stuff, and rebuilding them into pc's for family/friends/resale.

Purchased a few BIG books, and also at least one magazine per month also.

Spent alot of time surfing, lost circuits, amd zone, anand, here, ars, others for years.

Here's a suggestion: purchase one of my k62 pieces, and then start by rebuilding, adding bigger hd, new video card, more ram etc!

Good luck, and be forewarned, once you start, there is NO going back to Dell, CompUqe, etc. And don't even think about overclocking. Highly habit forming!

Read as many threads around here as you can. You will learn a LOT. I browsed SysOpt for about a year before becoming a member. Read the Technical Support threads, you will learn much there.

Start with an old pc or purchase a 2nd one. You need to keep your good one up and running so you can research on the web for answers to all the problems you encounter. Where are you located? If you were close to me I'd give you a pc. I've got 2 I use and about 6 or 7 more laying around. If you are near a large city go to a computer show and pick up an old used one for $20 and have at it.

I am inspired!

I am voracious for knowledge!

I have already begun to search throughout the sysopt forums and elsewhere on the www. for the secrets to the universe!
    Well, for the secrets to computers and their components and operating systems anyway!

It is interesting to hear from all of you how you got started on 'your' particular paths to understanding these things. Please continue to let me know how each of you got started. I mean, if you want to. It's comforting or something.

You understand that I am liable to fill the forums here with a lot of stupid and naive questions don't you?

Thanks MJCfromCT for those links you gave earlier.

And thanks again all

I’ve always liked things that were electronic. As a kid I was always taking stuff apart. Whether it is to see how it worked, or maybe taking two broken things and making one work. My first “habit” was home stereo equipment. Then about three years ago I got my first computer, a used K6 500MHz and a new “habit”. After that I couldn’t get enough information. About a year and a half later and much reading I ordered the parts for my new computer. Then a month later I joined sysopt.
    There is a lot of valuable information here. Remember to use the search option to try and find answers. A lot of times similar problems have been solved and can help you solve yours. There are also “sticky” threads with all the best of in them. Also browse different threads, I don’t know how many times I’ve ran into a problem and knew how to fix it because of a thread I saw.
    Once you build your own or start diving into one and pulling it apart you’ll realize how easy it is to build one. After that you’ll never buy a proprietary system again. You’ll also be quite proud after you build your first computer, and amazed at how much money you saved.

Remember this. The only dumb question is the one you’re afraid to ask. You can’t learn by not asking questions.

I can vividly remember when the first apple IIc computers first came into my school in 2nd grade. While everyone was using their computer time to play "lemonaide stand", I was bussy trying to "break" into the opp system with open apple / delete and trying to write small codes;

10 print "school is boring"
    20 goto 10
    run

I also liked to take apart electronics as a small kid. Putting them back together was a whole different issue that had me in perpetual trouble with the ole' man. I must have re'wired the speakers on my first stereo twice a week as I experimented with different locations to mount them and conceal the wiring as best I could.

Respect to the Commador 64!!

You have the essentials, a willingness to learn and sysopt.

Book posted by Lep is a good one, you can actually sit and read that one, very well written.

Johhny advised well, I cant add much to that.

Keep a secong GOOD pc as advised. If you are tinkering and get to the point of wanting to break it , quit and sleep on it, answer will come. Remember, Google is your friend as well. There is no dumb question but trying to help yourself is just as important to the learning process.

Visit thrift stores, can pick up a lot of older technology there cheap.

Welcome to Sysopt, BTW.
    Last edited by crossedup; 01-05-2005 at 08:41 AM.