Thread: Suggested cooling for 9800 pro. VERY HOT

Suggested cooling for 9800 pro. VERY HOT

Just recently purchased a Sapphire 9800 Pro Ultimate Edition.

The stock fan is removed, and installed is a Zalman Pipe fanless heatsink (which is huge).

Problem: I'm not used to having my peripherals get so hot. I can literally burn my hand if i touch the heatsink for more than 2 seconds.

Is this normal?

At the moment i have a big fan pointed at the side of my tower, to keep it cool.

Any suggestions? What should i purchase, if anything?

Maybe throw a 80 mill fan on top of heatsink (just lay it on it?)

thanks for all the suggestions.

Arctic Cooling VGA Cooler, the heatpipe is a good option if you want silence, but for overclocking its not to good.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...186-113&DEPA=0

This fan is great! I hooked it up to my old Radeon 9800 Pro and it overclocks and runs cool anbd very very quite

I would say an arctic silencer too, but he already has a zalman. aka freaking huge piece of metal. hehe

you can add a fan on top of it, but I would also look at your case cooling. if you have a lot of case airflow, that would help the zalman cool more effectively.

the arctic silencer is the one I was thinking of, Im sure that cools better than the one I posted, it runs at a higher RPM than the ATI and its quiter, Mid is also right if you add a fan to your Zalman you should be able to cool better if you dont want to take it apart for the arctic silencer. also look at your case and make sure u have Sufficient air flow.

One of my friends has a Zalman and the thing does get solar lava atomic hot, especially the heatpipes.

Ultimate Member
    solar atomic lava hot eh? That is pretty hot, mine only gets to lava hot tops!

I also recommend the arctic silencer, its what i'm using on my 9800 Pro and I can overclock that thing to WELL past XT speeds.

the heatpipes get wicked hot, especially when the card is OC'ed. I'm not sure what he was running it at, though.