Thread: PC133 w/ celeron?

PC133 w/ celeron?

I am going to install a computer for my parents. However, I want to know if I can install PC133 ram with a celeron. The motherboard I bought supports PC66/100 memory. However, will it still be ok that I use PC133 ram? Thanks.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    It may work, then again, it may not work.

It really depends on the BIOS. You will need to try it because we can't possibly tell you ahead of time with any guarentees.

First the good news:

It will physically fit in the slot and won't kill the system.

Second the bad news:

There's no way to tell whether it will work or not short of trying it.

A celeron can and will work with PC133-- but there's no way to tell whether you can do that with your particular Celeron.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

the speed of the chip doesn't matter in this case. it's the density. most manufacturer's will label high density ram as "PC133 only". you're better off getting something labeled PC100 unless you know it is low density stuff.

Intimate Member
    There is a term floating around that says RAM is back wards compatible. Ram is back wards compatable..but many times the motherboards chipset was not designed to work with the afore mentioned high density RAM chips.

Many of the older boards will run the PC133 just fine, especially those boards that were designed just as or before the newer PC133 technology was waiting in the wings..but, before that time frame, most of the PC66 and/or PC100 chipset boards would puke when PC133 was used.

I had one of those...an FIC VIA 503+, it WOULD boot and even run when PC133 was installed, but freezes and lockups were abundant...I had to go back to the low density PC100 before the system would settle down.

I always assumed it was backwards compatible. Thats something to look out for in future. Luckily all boards running that use pc100 have run the PC133 RAM.

PC133 will work in that board, but as Midknyte said, it must be the low density variety. In practical terms, this means that a 128MB dimm must have at least 8 chips on it. A 256MB dimm must have 16 chips on it.

Ah yes I see. I understand now.