Thread: Lost the Visual Style: WinXP.........

Lost the Visual Style: WinXP.........

Hi,
    I have lost my WinXP Visual Styles. I mean when ever i apply any theme (even the default WinXP) the Start Menu And the Common Task Folder donnot change their look. They remained same as Windows Classic Style (Like Windows classic style option). But other windows like taskbar, dialouge boxes change them self according to the theme. Ihave check the Theme service it is Started and configured as Automatic. The Visual Effect (under My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Performance>Setting>V isual Effect) are set at Adjust For Best Appearance. I am postion my screen shots also. Look at the 1st screen shot (1.jpg) there the start menu is old styled but the Dialouge Box is like it should be. In 2nd (2.jpg) screen shot look at the Common Task bar at the left side.

Last nite i uninstalled Longhorn Tnasformation Pack 6.0. While doing that my PC hangged. So i re-booted it (cold reboot) After that it whole screen turned black and gave the error msgina.dll not found, Shell32.dll not found and The User Interface was not found and only option left was Restart. Well i replace all the file these file from as they were stored in some other location also. So now atleast i can boot normally but i was unable to restore these start menu and common tack folder old look.
    Plz help me with this. What can i do to restore my old look. I have unistalled Longhorn Transformation Pack 6.0 totally.
    Plz Help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (112.0 KB, 93 views)
    Last edited by Harshu; 12-26-2004 at 01:41 AM.

Are you sure you used the appropriate dll files? That msgina error is a modder's nightmare. You may have replaced one or all of the missing files with the wrong version.

Go to : C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Luna
    and apply that theme. This should restore ur theme to the original. If the procedure wasnt successful, try using system restore.
    Good luck
    Commandos

I think the dll r of correct version. I have checked them. The system restore is of no use. I have tried it but it nothing happend. I have even tried the windows file checker. It has replace the modifed file but still nothing changed. Plz help.

Have u tried switching the theme from the color scheme ( Display properties -->Appearance --->Color Scheme ) to the Silver of green. Is it working ?
    Commandos

I have already done that. tried all the themes i had... every thing. but half of my windows i.e. dialouge boxes etc adapt the new theme but my start menu remains the same as well as the taskbar. And the menu is NOT set to the classic style.

Could you reinsall the Longhorn Transformation Pack and see if fixes the problem?

It seems Uninstalling Longhorn Transformation Pack removed some dlls and files with the process.. Try what Johnny Fist suggested. If it didnt solve the problem, try using system restore and restore ur maching to a previous date.
    Good luck
    Commandos

I have reinstalled Longhorn Transformation pack but nothing happend. System Restore is not able to restore the system to any of the restore points. So the story is still stuck at the same point.

I would try doing a XP Repair install as a last resort when you're frustrated. You're not going to loose any files, but you'll have to redo some personal settings. Sounds like they have been lost anyways.
    Live by it: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

U can back up or move ur important data to another partition and start a clean fresh install if u want. Or u can reinstall xp over this installation. Ur data will be there but u 'll have to install the applications.
    Commandos

An XP Repair install will leave all other files alone and just replace your system files. You won't have to reinstall anything....
    Live by it: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Excellent point. I second the repar suggestion. At this point you have nothing to lose.

Ok i also think Repair is the last option. Thanks a lot guys for ur sujjestions.