Thread: Mobo with integrated video upgrade?

Mobo with integrated video upgrade?

All,

Is there a Socket 'A' mobo out there with integrated video that would improve on my current setup?

ECS K7S5A Pro w/ XP2400+
    Radeon 9100 64MB
    512MB Ram
    SB Live!

All I've found are nforce boards with Geforce4MX GPUs which I don't think will have better gaming performance than what I've got.

Thanks.

No I don't think so! onboard video usually sucz anyway! stick with what you've got or upgrade to the next level - it will probably be the cheaper option.

Ultimate Member
    No. Haven't you asked this elsewhere too? Answers there! (Get a new graphics card.)

Onboard Graphics:

weak core, shared bandwidth.

9100:

stronger but still weak core, dedicated bandwidth.

Avoid integration for graphics.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

even pcchips dont make board with onboard video chipset any more due to instability and extreme laggyness.

I got one of these from zipzoomfly but I don't know how well the Xabre 200 compares to the Radeon 9100.

Bear in mind that this board is not using "integrated graphics" as we usually think of it; in fact it has all the hardware of an actual AGP card built in, with 64MB of its own memory.

EDIT: I have to agree with Peter M though, why not just get a new video card?
    Last edited by sm8000; 12-25-2004 at 01:18 PM.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by jamie31
    even pcchips dont make board with onboard video chipset any more due to instability and extreme laggyness.
    Bullsh*t. As is plain to see for everyone browsing www.pcchips.com.tw "Products" section, more than half of their current (!) mainboards has integrated graphics.

Originally posted by Peter M
    Bullsh*t. As is plain to see for everyone browsing www.pcchips.com.tw "Products" section, more than half of their current (!) mainboards has integrated graphics.
    more then half of obsolete mobo?
    Just brilliant man, very clever of you.. *sarcasm*

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...roperty&DEPA=0
    These 13 motherboards have onboard video, are you gonna say that they're obsolete too? Most of these are new boards, and some support the AMD64.
    So where did you get your info about the instability?

Scourge, if you want better video and speed, you'll have to go with a video card.

jamie31, what's your idea of obsolete?

even pcchips dont make board with onboard video chipset any more...
    That's just plain wrong! why bother trying to justify it by ridiculing others with *sarcasm*?

Peter M is probably the most knowledgeable here on anything PC Chips\ECS related, I & others have learned to trust his judgement in this area.

mtc.

Ultimate Member
    I'm the one who's laughing.

Fact of the day:

Who is supplying the largest number of graphics units into the PC market?

NVidia? No, ATI?

Wrong.

It's Intel.

Er, they don't even make any graphics chips, you say?

Right you are - All they have is chipset-integrated graphics, and nonetheless they claim to own about 35 percent of the PC graphics market.

Add to that the share of integrated graphics as sold by SiS, VIA/S3, NVidia and ATi themselves, and you'll see that people using discrete graphics cards are actually a surprisingly small minority; vast numbers of office and home PCs use integrated graphics - and that's where the large volume OEM business lies, served by companies like PC-Chips and ASRock.
    Last edited by Peter M; 12-27-2004 at 05:23 PM.

Ultimate Member
    I assume that's why >95% of Dell's PCs have IGP, as well....man, so many returns.

Disabled on board graphics can save some time and effort when add in cards go off the rails and cost nothing extra really.
    A limited benefeit.

It surprises me that mobo makers do not go after the value added bonus of decent HI-capability on board graphics.

Still who am l to poke around the issue sitting here perfectly happy with a 3dlabs Oxygen VX1-1600SW card from the year dot.
    Still it's a great card and l love it.