Thread: System reboots randomly

System reboots randomly

It just started this past hour, as i was playing a computer game after around 15minutes the computer just reboots itself randomly , although it seems only in the game this occurs. There are no messages no warnings the thing just reboots. Im not sure if it has something to do with me turning off the firewall which i thought may have been the reason i was getting disconnected so much from the game or what. any help or suggestions would be great i dont know much about XP since today is my first time running XP. Thanks in advance

System information
    Time of this report: 12/19/2004, 18:33:47
    Machine name: MYCOMPUTER
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gateway
    System Model: N9CPP041
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel Pentium III, ~860MHz
    Memory: 254MB RAM
    Page File: 146MB used, 479MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
    pc wont boot

Open the case up with the machine running and see if the HSF fan is running. Also, check the fans for the case and the PSU. Shut down the machine and make sure the HSF is seated correctly. Clean out any dust bunnies inside the machine and especially the HSF. Try running the machine with the side off, if it runs OK like that then you may have a heat issue.

Originally posted by leprechaun_40
    Open the case up with the machine running and see if the HSF fan is running. Also, check the fans for the case and the PSU. Shut down the machine and make sure the HSF is seated correctly. Clean out any dust bunnies inside the machine and especially the HSF. Try running the machine with the side off, if it runs OK like that then you may have a heat issue.

im sure this will make you laugh but im totally serious.......Theres not a single fan on my case except for the 2 small and i mean tiny fans on my CPU, no fan on the heatsink...and im running with the side off already cause it was getting extremely hot.....someone suggested along time ago to see if putting table fan to cool it off some, cause the game locks up a bunch out of no where
    pc wont boot

you gotta be kidding me. definitely sounds like a heat issue.

Originally posted by Midknyte
    you gotta be kidding me. definitely sounds like a heat issue.
    think putting a table fan blowing on high might help?
    pc wont boot

dude, you gotta do something. the power supply fan is just for that. you need to get fresh air into the system, otherwise it will just be recycling hot air.

forgot about the fan on the power supplybut that is only on the back and i guess blowing some out, i know i need fresh air. but this case is so old, there is one spot for a fan and that is blocked by a metal plate so it really isnt going to go anywher, about to just be ghetto and hook up a table fan and have it blow right on the inside
    pc wont boot

are you sure you can't remove the plate? This is a gateway tower, right?

Originally posted by Midknyte
    are you sure you can't remove the plate? This is a gateway tower, right?
    neg no gateway tower ,the plate is just big enough to get the fan in with about a cm left of room but the air hits it and bounces off.....this is a case i put all the parts from the gatway case in cause it didnt even have a spot for a fan and it was packed so tight that you couldnt get your hands in it or add/remove hardware from it without taking to much of your time and that case ran hotter than the one im using now

EDIT:::are there any programs i could use that are able to tell me my cpu temp?
    Last edited by ThePyro; 12-19-2004 at 09:21 PM.
    pc wont boot

it depends on the board, but try motherboard monitor.

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthre...hreadid=173743

as of now it is looking like a definate heat problem, opened up game played about 30minutes and it didnt do a many screen stutters as normal, and my frame rate was around 30 instead of the norm 10 which i cant stand and is pretty much unplayable although it did still have frame rate drops to 1 every once and awhile but the big fan blowing on high did the trick it seems

and i guess my mobo is not supported, isnt on the list thanks though
    pc wont boot