Thread: PC Stops Responding?

PC Stops Responding?

Hi,

Some of you may have read my previous post about an issue with Win XP and my SATA hard drive, I think that this may also be causing the problem I am currently having.

I have managed to install Win XP after hitting F6 and installing SATA drivers from a floppy, however now that Win XP is running I have run into similar problems as I was having before.

While using Win XP normally, the computer will completely stop responding, nothing will respond, not the keyboard or mouse either. The computer stalling happens at random intervals, sometimes a couple of mins into using Win XP, sometimes after several hours.

This exact same problem was happening when I was installing Win XP. The keyboards lights are still on but it won't respond and the mouse won't do a thing. In the end I have to restart the pc from the reset button.

For some reason it does not stop responding when I am playing games. Will a service pack sort this problem out? Currently no service packs installed.

Any help would be appreciated.

PC SPECS: (Brand New, Fresh Build)
    Athlon 64 3200, skt 939
    MSI K8N Neo 2 Platnium MB
    Sapphire ATI 9600 256MB
    1GB Geil Memory + Heatsinks
    200GB Maxtor DiamondMAX 10 SATA 150
    Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000 Case
    Thermaltake 480W Pure Silent Xaser Edition.
    I have 3 Large Fans Running + all components fans.

Perhaps you could try running the diagnostic software from your HDD manufacturer to see if something is indeed wrong with the drive itself.