Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oh no why does HL2 make me feel sick

Oh no why does HL2 make me feel sick

Howdy,

Wow how sad playing hl2 makes me feel queezy, carsick you know? Whats strange is that hl1 did the same thing, back when I bought it and ran it on the old machine and now when it runs on the new machine.

Other games do not do this to me. Its happened to me maybe once before on a non halflife game, and I've played lots and lots of games. Anything I can do to stop the sickness? Is gabe newell trying to control my brain?

Make sure your refresh rate is set higher than 60hz

Some FPS games make peopel feel queasy due to the amount of field of view they project on the screen, if it is an unnatural amount to you, then that could be the reason also. Unfortunately there isn't too much the end user can change about this aside from taking motion sickness pills before playing.
    Last edited by MJCfromCT; 11-20-2004 at 01:11 AM.

I've read of this on several forums and all of them also had threads about how to stop it. I never had the problem so I haven't clicked any. I'm sure MJC has seen the same. If not, hit up all the usual HL websites and it won't be hard to find a fix if there is any.

Ok going to try and raise the refresh rate and and have another go at it. Maybe I can make little halflife2 barf bags if necessary.
    Attached Images Attached Images

refresh rate will definitely help but don't feel bad - I can't watch my kids play their video or pc games for more than 30 seconds w/o the same thing

just strange it's the only game that bothers you

what's even worse is half the population that does play video games can't cause they have seizures or can't stand the blinking lights.
    the prince of all saiyans will not fall again!

I used to have the same thing with the old Hexen thing for N64 And for some of Perfect Dark, but it was when it was VERY sunny and it reflected off the screen and I was a bit uncomfy on the floor....
    Woe to you o' earth and sea, for the devil sends the beast with wrath, for he knows the time is short, let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast, for it is a human number, it's number is six hundred and sixty six...

I had the exact problem with the original Wolfenstien 3D. Never got it resolved. I know dark levels (like indoor with no lights) made me sick, particularly in Halo 1, but interestingly enough Doom 3 never bothered me.

Well I raised the refresh rate to 85 and that helped a little I think. I played for about an hour until I started feeling sick which is longer than before. I wonder if beer would help

I could play team fortress forever with hl1 and never feel queezy, but the single player made me sick in 20 minutes. Hopefully I can play hl2 online without the sickness. From what I've seen hl2 is great and maybe I'll just have to suffer my way though it. Just my luck to have the 'two greatest games ever' make me feel sick. It must have something to do with the colors or textures or something. I wonder if car sickness pills would help.

What kind of monitor do you have? Maybe going from a CRT to a LCD or vice versa might help.

a beer might help

yea, the same thing happened ot me when i played Return to Castle Wolfenstein and happened a little bit on Halo. and even stranger, when i first got windows xp a couple years ago the same thing happened. eventually i just got used to it. RTCW was really bad for me, but after a couple days the feeling went away, i guess my eyes just go tused to how round everything was, same with Halo, it's all too Quakey for me, all the games that are really round and built off the Quake engine make me feel sick to the stomach.

no no, no beers... i drank so much last night... tried playing cs today... whoa.... bad bad idea :P this isnt something that happenes all the time... just after a fun night on the town

Originally posted by bob05
    I had the exact problem with the original Wolfenstien 3D.
    same here- just the way the map "turned"
    around, these hard 90 degree shifts-
    gave me a headache but no nausea.

no other games tho... guess i'm lucky.

get sober and try again after you have eaten something......

Another one of the many reasons i gave up drinking after 30 plus years.....it just makes you feel ****y....

A clue would be that the game seems to be running in slow motion,..when in actuallity its not....
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS