Thread: choppy gameplay

choppy gameplay

Its probally my system and video card but i just purchased hl2 and its somewhat slow on my computer. At times it runs smooth averageing around 45-50fps. But when ever their are big explosions or loud noise, everything starts to get choppy. I set all the settings to low but the results are the same. I have a athlon xp 2500+ OCed to 2.1ghz, 512mb ddr ram, and a radeon 9600 pro. What could i do (safely) that will get me better game performance?

try to set the your "desktop refresh rate" that will make it smooth er ihave mine set one one computer at "100hz" and my other two "85hz" it makes a different

What are you currently running the game settings at? Your CPU and amount of RAM are fine, if anything your video card could be the problem.

Actually, when you say it gets "choppy", do you mean that the game entire locks up at points, and the audio starts to loop? If so, then that is a problem with the game which ValvE will be addressing soon.

Originally posted by dell8200
    try to set the your "desktop refresh rate" that will make it smooth er ihave mine set one one computer at "100hz" and my other two "85hz" it makes a different
    make sure your monitor will support that refresh rate before you try it - 85hz is supposed to be more than sufficient for most games

Don't know what kind of sound you're using, but if it's onboard or below an Audigy, try turning down your sound hardware acceleration one notch (Control Panel/Sounds/Speaker settings/Advanced/Performance) from Full. Sound that relies on CPU makes a big hit on performance.

I had the same problems you describe with my onboard sound.
    I disabled it in the BIOS and purchased an Audidgy instead.
    Never had the problem since.